600 tweaks? Doesn't seem to lock onto control channels!

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmission

Forgive me if this has been covered before. I've read the posts about the guy wanting to "speed" up his scanner and tried a few of the suggestions, but same problem. I don't know a lot about the tweaks to the new digital scanners and was QUITE overwhelmed when I upgraded my 96 to 600.

I live somewhat in the country, right on the edge of town. I'm using a PMM3B antenna on the window sill and get full bars. But when watching the scanner, my control freqs bounce all around and I get partial conversations. Crisp and clear then cuts out. I put all my expert settings back to default and still the same thing. Could it need attenuation? How do you even know when to use it? Anyone have a template I could match up for Lucas Co Ohio?

Thanks for all the help!!!! :)

P.S. No priorities are on.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
According to database Lucas CO TRS is a 12 site simulcast P25 CQPSK Phase 1 system. The towers all use the same frequencies. Due to slight signal delay from each tower broadcasting identical info, you need to isolate all towers except the closest tower to your location.
Using ATT may help. Using the supplied scanner antenna and try various tuning ranges by collapsing/expanding the length (IOW-detune antenna) may help. Using a directional antenna pointed at closest tower may be best choice,

newmission

Some good suggestions. Don't know too much on the broadcast part either. How does one even find out where the towers are located?

Oh and one thing I just remembered, don't know if it make a diff or not, I have both CC and ALT freqs programmed. Should one have ONLY CC programmed?

N8IAA

Since you are a premium subscriber, what programming software are you using? If Win500, there is a simple fix. Under the TSYS objects tab, highlight the system in question. To the right of the systems is headers: System frequencies, Trunking table, drop down box for trunking tables, and Multisite mode. Click on the arrow for the Multisite mode and pick either OFF, or, Stationary. You will find that your system will work better. I have the same problem with some of my local systems and found that setting the best. It will pick up on the strongest tower, thus eliminating the search for the CC's on other towers.
HTH,
Larry

N8IAA

Oh and one thing I just remembered, don't know if it make a diff or not, I have both CC and ALT freqs programmed. Should one have ONLY CC programmed?

No to the CC only. The alternates are there because they may switch from the main CC to the alternate CC's. You will miss way to much if you do that.
Larry

newmission

Hey thanks Larry and Larry! (just kidding) :)

I tried using Win500 cause I was use to Win96. However after BLASTING out a nice template on PSRedit500, I just gave up on trying to find the things "hidden" in Win500. Given there are things you have to access through indirect menus on PSRedit500. I just liked the layout and the simple fact that I don't have to enter my location, and wait...., every time I import from RR got me hooked.

Now I am familiar with the STAT feature and have all my "banks" set to STAT which I thought sounded great when reading what it does in the owner's manual. Still for some reason when I watch the display of the scanner, it flips and flops like a fish out-a-water! And when my wife comes over asking what's wrong with the new $400 scanner, I gotta use some fancy jargon and tell her that setting needs adjusted. ;)

Last edited:

newmission

Speaking of the STAT setting. I pulled up my template and double checked it was checked. Sure enough. Now there's another selection along with it that says "Scan all control channels that can be received on every pass through this TSYS object." Is that something to have checked, or UNcheck? :)

N8IAA

Speaking of the STAT setting. I pulled up my template and double checked it was checked. Sure enough. Now there's another selection along with it that says "Scan all control channels that can be received on every pass through this TSYS object." Is that something to have checked, or UNcheck? :)

Uncheck. That could very well be your problem. Kind of defeats the use of Stationary:) The OFF mode is what works the best for me on my systems.
Larry

newmission

Alright, went through and unchecked the recommend STAT config. A noticeable difference indeed. But then I hit the att and BANG, I get crisp reception, and readable movement on my signal meter. Without att, my meter always pegged at full bars, which I thought was a good thing right? Guess I was "front loading" I believe is the word? Now my meter stays right at a flickering full bar.

I tried looking up radio towers in my area, and it seems there are three in a two mile range of me. And I live in open country! Heck I even was curious to see what I've been missing all these years on my 96. Walked over and punched the att, BANG! Both 96 and 600 are following each other much closer, of course the 600 could still rock out the digital decoding far better. :)

Thanks for all the help fellas!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.