668 - can it be used with Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJsBuys

Premium Subscriber
I have used Windows 7 for years to update my Pro-668. I bought a Windows 10 computer and it will not take the program from the scanner. Has anyone had success with the Windows 10 operating system? If so, would you advise me on how to go about getting it to work on Windows 10.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I use the Pro-668 software on my windows 10 computer. Sometimes, I have to try to write to the scanner 3 times before it will transfer. I don't know about reading the scanner, but it may be a similar situation.

CycleSycho

I have used Windows 7 for years to update my Pro-668. I bought a Windows 10 computer and it will not take the program from the scanner. Has anyone had success with the Windows 10 operating system? If so, would you advise me on how to go about getting it to work on Windows 10.

:confused: Did the I Scan program install without an error? If so, does the scanner show up as a drive in 'my computer'? :confused:

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Those series of models have been troublesome to get to talk to another, but the key item is have the scanner OFF with it hooked up to the pc, only then will it communicate.
Then in software go ahead and do your stuff.

FYI I saw not long ago about no more library updates and no doubt no program updates anymore, even tried the current TRX software nothing. You'll and others will have to start programming themselves which actually is better instead of going through so much data till it gets the local stuff using zipcode/city location..

hill

Premium Subscriber
You can still update the database by downloading the updated one and putting it in the database file in the computer system.

PJsBuys

Premium Subscriber
With the 668 turned off, I connect it to the Windows computer and the program from the scanner does not load. I get a list of eleven file folders, five of which are empty. Those that are not empty I can't do anything with. The whole display is shown as a part of the computer files just under the file "OC (C:)". When I open one of the files with data, I get what looks like the program, I can't do anything with it. It doesn't install. Obvoiusly I am missing something, but I can't tell what. Can you help? Thank you.
Paul

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure where the drivers are now a days, but honestly, if you have the 668 I would strongly recommend the Whistler Legacy Upgrade for $60 to make it a WS1080. Database updates are no longer supported for the 668 (there is a work around for that though) and there haven't been firmware upgrades for awhile. Doing the upgrade gives you both, as well as DMR, and the overall opinion by most users is that it improves reception and battery live. My silent 668 came to life again after I got the upgrade and did the updates.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I tried to understand in message #7 correctly, but I did find if you go to the Library Import tab on the bottom right you can update it that way. The popup window when you first start the software it wont update. I disabled the update that way in the program settings.
-------------------------
If you can see file folders as you say, it is in communication, not sure what's wrong.
One thing you can do though if you have an SD card adapter where you can put the radios micro sd card in, use that and place that into your pc. It will look to the software like the radio is attached and when all else fails this procedure does work and it programs much faster.
Micro SD is on the right side of the radio, with the radio off, take the battery cover off and just push in and it releases.

This is a windows feature to install unsigned drivers for any kind of device not just for scanners.

CycleSycho

I tried to understand in message #7 correctly, but I did find if you go to the Library Import tab on the bottom right you can update it that way. The popup window when you first start the software it wont update. I disabled the update that way in the program settings.
-------------------------
If you can see file folders as you say, it is in communication, not sure what's wrong.
One thing you can do though if you have an SD card adapter where you can put the radios micro sd card in, use that and place that into your pc. It will look to the software like the radio is attached and when all else fails this procedure does work and it programs much faster.
Micro SD is on the right side of the radio, with the radio off, take the battery cover off and just push in and it releases.

This is a windows feature to install unsigned drivers for any kind of device not just for scanners.

:( He doesn't have 'I Scan' installed! I can't see him doing anything without it installed, even getting to the step to copy the updated DB files over to the folder for 'I Scan'! :(

No, it does not install.

:( You HAVE to have the scanner program ('I Scan') installed onto your computer FIRST. Nothing will work until you at least install the scanners program. Even IF you get it installed (the latest 'I Scan'), it seems your going to have a very hard time with this (your post " I have not installed any drivers. I'm not good with computers. Can you tell me where to get the proper driver? ")… :(

:eek: The suggestion above to spend the $60 bucks to update the scanner for its 'EZ Scan' software would be a waste if you can't even get the respective scanners program installed. You need help in first installing 'I Scan', then after that installing 'EZ Scan' so you can migrate the database files over to the 'I Scan' program to be uploaded into the scanner OR spend the $60 update fee to convert the 668 into a clone WS-1080, and again install 'EZ Scan' onto your computer SUCCESSFULLY to be able to even basically use the scanner. Your going to have to decide which route to go, and start learning about your computer and how to install 'I Scan', 'EZ Scan', or BOTH. :eek:

PJsBuys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for trying to help. The problem is that on the Windows 10 computer there is no library import tab - the program does not load into the Windows 10 unit. I'm not really concerned about the various upgrades, I can add whatever frequency I want if I have a program to work with. The Windows 10 will not load the program into the computer itself, so I can't use the Windows 10 unit at all. When the scanner is turned off I connect it to the computer via the wire, but the computer does not do anything with the connection except give me a list of folders (noted above).

PJsBuys

Premium Subscriber
:( He doesn't have 'I Scan' installed! I can't see him doing anything without it installed, even getting to the step to copy the updated DB files over to the folder for 'I Scan'! :(

:( You HAVE to have the scanner program ('I Scan') installed onto your computer FIRST. Nothing will work until you at least install the scanners program. Even IF you get it installed (the latest 'I Scan'), it seems your going to have a very hard time with this (your post " I have not installed any drivers. I'm not good with computers. Can you tell me where to get the proper driver? ")… :(

:eek: The suggestion above to spend the $60 bucks to update the scanner for its 'EZ Scan' software would be a waste if you can't even get the respective scanners program installed. You need help in first installing 'I Scan', then after that installing 'EZ Scan' so you can migrate the database files over to the 'I Scan' program to be uploaded into the scanner OR spend the $60 update fee to convert the 668 into a clone WS-1080, and again install 'EZ Scan' onto your computer SUCCESSFULLY to be able to even basically use the scanner. Your going to have to decide which route to go, and start learning about your computer and how to install 'I Scan', 'EZ Scan', or BOTH. :eek:

PJsBuys

Premium Subscriber

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Huh guess had to really read it all, read between the lines software not installed.
Ok here's a temporary link at least till I run out of dropbox room on the free account hehe. Its in a .zip format since dropbox doesn't like .exe files.
Once installed see if you can update the software still if its possible anymore.

Here you click on the down arrow in the upper right at the link to get it.

Also I have this to use Pro-668 firmware updater. Firmware can also be done in the above software as well-

Once installed you can go back and re-read peoples instructions how to get it to work!

I came across this facebook site, looks like they have all the files!
Radio Shack PRO-668/WS-1080 Handheld iScan Digital Trunking Scanner

Last edited:

PJsBuys

Premium Subscriber
Huh guess had to really read it all, read between the lines software not installed.
Ok here's a temporary link at least till I run out of dropbox room on the free account hehe. Its in a .zip format since dropbox doesn't like .exe files.
Once installed see if you can update the software still if its possible anymore.

Here you click on the down arrow in the upper right at the link to get it.

Also I have this to use Pro-668 firmware updater. Firmware can also be done in the above software as well-

Once installed you can go back and re-read peoples instructions how to get it to work!

I came across this facebook site, looks like they have all the files!
Radio Shack PRO-668/WS-1080 Handheld iScan Digital Trunking Scanner
Many thanks for helping. I finally resolved the problem. For future use if others have this problem, here is what I did. I put the Pro-668 program on my Windows 7 machine onto a flash drive. I then put the flash drive into the Windows 10 machine and copied the program into the W. 10 machine. I then plugged in the scanner and copied the files to the program in W. 10. It works. Thanks to all who tried. Paul

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Side note on this PJsBuys, you can upgrade the windows 7 pc to windows 10 for FREE. I have done this on three here successfully.
To get Media creation tool, click the link below "Create Windows 10 installation media"

Status
Not open for further replies.