Pro-668: 668 Radio Locked/Frozen

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBFD415

My 668 seems to may be locked. I suspect it be the result of me picking it up with an external power supply plugged in. I may have hit the "MENU" button while handling it.

At present I have a screen that says: "up BootVer:RF1.1 and- "up App Ver:RF2.3."......below that it says: "CPU SW Upgrade: Waiting for USB"

I am connected to the PC, but as in the past the 2 are not talking. I do not have my separate card reader to do anything with the card at the moment as I'm away from home till Sunday. Disconnecting the power and pulling the batteries will not clear the messg (when batteries are restored)

Anybody have an idea how to restore the prior normal operation?

RBFD415

That ain't happening, like other people experienced with the 668 the radio will not talk with the PC via the USB, only when the card is removed and plugged into a card reader.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
That ain't happening, like other people experienced with the 668 the radio will not talk with the PC via the USB, only when the card is removed and plugged into a card reader.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You need to install the proper driver. The radio has a USB-to-serial port adapter internally. The driver supports that hardware.

When the radio is OFF, you should be access the SD card inside the radio, and install the software.

The older GRE radios had the USB adapter within the cable, not the radio. Whistler built it into the radio itself.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
My 668 seems to may be locked. I suspect it be the result of me picking it up with an external power supply plugged in. I may have hit the "MENU" button while handling it.

At present I have a screen that says: "up BootVer:RF1.1 and- "up App Ver:RF2.3."......below that it says: "CPU SW Upgrade: Waiting for USB"

I am connected to the PC, but as in the past the 2 are not talking. I do not have my separate card reader to do anything with the card at the moment as I'm away from home till Sunday. Disconnecting the power and pulling the batteries will not clear the messg (when batteries are restored)

Anybody have an idea how to restore the prior normal operation?

This happens to mine quite often, don't know why but I unplug it from computer, pull the batteries, move the switch to ALK, put batteries back in and power it up and it's ok.

If only there was a fix for the squelch...

Last edited:

RBFD415

Update- my 668 is still locked as before. (I posted the original issue, nothing has changed). I set it aside as more pressing issues came up. Before I could try the suggested info that Ed6698 posted, which seemed pretty detailed, my laptop decided to upgrade to Windows 10 which has caused me numerous issues for work! (I tried blocking 10 from loading, but eventually it did it on its own!).

My questions are- will those instructions still work for Windows 10 or does anyone have another route to take to get this radio back running. My laptop is needed for work and I'm being carful not to screw it up, especially now with Windows 10, which seems to have issues of its own!

RBFD415

You can disregard my last post. I got my hands on an older laptop, unknown OS. I was able to load the USB driver off the SD card. Using the update firmware tab I unlocked the radio.

Looks like the question of the moment is- is there software available for the USB driver for Windows 10?

Thanks for everybody's input prior!

Status
Not open for further replies.