6981 KHz Mars (Encrypted Messages ??)

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I believe that 6981 USB is a Mars Frequency, I hear there voices from time to time but I also pick up messages they send and was wondering if the messages are Encrypted or if there is a decoder out there that will decode the messages. I attached a audio file of the message. Thanks for any information.
Steve

Attachments

• Mars 6981000HZ.zip
    897.5 KB · Views: 33

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I believe that 6981 USB is a Mars Frequency, I hear there voices from time to time but I also pick up messages they send and was wondering if the messages are Encrypted or if there is a decoder out there that will decode the messages. I attached a audio file of the message. Thanks for any information.

MARCS doesn't encrypt that I can recall (at least, they never did when I was a member).

They're probably using radio teletype (RTTY to hams, but MARS calls it RATT). If so you should be able to decode it with any decent RTTY or multi-mode decoder like FLDigi.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
MARCS doesn't encrypt that I can recall (at least, they never did when I was a member).

They're probably using radio teletype (RTTY to hams, but MARS calls it RATT). If so you should be able to decode it with any decent RTTY or multi-mode decoder like FLDigi.
Thanks for the information I will try and see if I can decode it with RTTY with my Multipsk software
Steve

n2nov

This transmission is not MARS. You do know that this area just below 7 Mhz is frequented by pirates and unlicensed prepper-type groups?

Saint

Premium Subscriber
This transmission is not MARS. You do know that this area just below 7 Mhz is frequented by pirates and unlicensed prepper-type groups?
I have listened to mars on this frequencies and I am sure that I herd once or twice that they were going to send a message and that's the digital noise I picked up. But I could be wrong.
Steve

Saint

Premium Subscriber
When MARS nets start, they do a voice roll call. Then a training or information message may be passed using a digital mode that sounds like a rolling white noise (like SDT, OFDM, MT63, etc).
I don't no , that's why I attached a audio file for every one to listen to, what I am asking is if you listen to the audio file is this a digital signal that can be decoded and if so please tell me what decoder will do this, that's all I want to know, I do not need any other information.
What is the signal and can I decode it .
Steve

db_gain

Late response but here goes.
MARS does encrypt messages sent via 110A (PSK) often. The sig in question is MFSK, not PSK and dunno if MARS related.
MARS was told to stop using HAM modes and use 110A and similar NATO STANAG modems for interoperability with mil units but the use of HAM modes persists. The neat thing about 110A is it sets itself up for you to decode as long as you have it tuned in within 100Hz, then just watch the messages, if you see a uuuuu string, encrypted comms will follow.

Some info on MARS encryption;

This is an encryption app used by MARS in the past, dunno if they still do;