6m mobile antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhooten

Looking for a 6M 1/4 wave for a ball mount. Doesn't appear MSI sells them anymore and google isn't helping....

and

merlin

I was speaking with NewTronics (Hustler Antennas) and was told the MO-1 and MO-2 masts are designed to be resonant on 6M.
I haven't tried it yet, but with an RM-10 resonator, one should have a dual band 6M/10M antenna. Ideal for those of us with radios that have 6M on the HF connector! Let me know your results.
They make a 6 meter resonator, also a 2 meter. Seemed to work fine but the best I encountered was the ASPA452.
That was on the fold over mast and a great match.
Still, 6 meter is NOT reasonant with 2 or 70 cm, and visa versa.

merlin

The old A/S 5/8 wave with the grey PVC pipe looking coil was a tapped coil and DC grounded. The later black cone shaped A/S VHF 5/8 and Larsen and Maxrad and most others are not DC grounded. I've also used a newer A/S and Maxrad VHF 5/8 on 6m.
The Motorola is identical to AS and it is black and is DC grounded in the coil.
A magnet mount has little or no effect on performance.
Conical shaped coils were not from AS, just branded as such.

merlin

I was speaking with NewTronics (Hustler Antennas) and was told the MO-1 and MO-2 masts are designed to be resonant on 6M.
I haven't tried it yet, but with an RM-10 resonator, one should have a dual band 6M/10M antenna. Ideal for those of us with radios that have 6M on the HF connector! Let me know your results.
That mast is 54 inches, closely reasonant on 6 meters, end fed you may need tuning at at the base for a good match.
Adding that 10-M coil will provide that match.
My mast just happens to fold at 15 inches. rear fender mount the coils can clip to a rain gutter clamp.

Duckford

If I hacksaw down a 102" whip to 52-54 inches, what is the best way to replace the static ball on top?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If I hacksaw down a 102" whip to 52-54 inches, what is the best way to replace the static ball on top?

Tig weld a ball bearing on the end.

Or go on e-Bay and search on "Corona Ball" or "Replacement Whip Ball" and there are options. You'll need to know the whip diameter where it's cut.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm guessing he wants to leave the threaded part at the bottom...not just going to be using the whip.

I think he was referring to some of the old low band LMR whips that had a set screw in the base like a smaller VHF/UHF whip would. Those you'd take the whip out of the base, cut to length, and then reinsert and tighten down the set screw.

But it's kind of hard to find those sort of LMR style whips for low band now. Usually hams use old 102" CB whips that don't have that feature, so you have to cut from the top.

Duckford

You cut the bottom off leaving the ball on top. I did this to four 9ft whips recently.

Mr. McKenna answered the question well. Cutting off the top is easier than cutting off the bottom, with its nice 3/8 threaded end. Replacing a little ball at the top is easier than finding a new way to attach it to my mounts.

prcguy

Pretty much all of the SS 9ft whip I've ever owned, and that's over a dozen, had a removable 3/8-24 whip adapter at the bottom. You remove the adapter with an allen wrench, cut the whip and put the adapter back on leaving the top of the whip intact.

I came across a couple of old A/S ground plane hubs that have four 3/8-24 threaded ground radial holes and an insulated top whip thread adapter that fits on a threaded pipe. I cut down five of my 9ft SS whips to make a 6m ground plane and they all had thread adapters. I still have at least five or six virgin 9ft SS whips in the rafters of my garage for future projects and they all have threaded adapters.

If you were to come across a 9ft SS whip with no 3/8-24 threads you just buy an adapter with set screws off Ebay for a couple of $$.

Mr. McKenna answered the question well. Cutting off the top is easier than cutting off the bottom, with its nice 3/8 threaded end. Replacing a little ball at the top is easier than finding a new way to attach it to my mounts.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If you were to come across a 9ft SS whip with no 3/8-24 threads you just buy an adapter with set screws off Ebay for a couple of $$.
I think "whip ferrule" is the term you are looking for.

Tower Electronics, among others, has them. Scroll almost all the way down to the bottom of this page.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Not to resurrect an older thread, but the search is broken, and google pointed me to this thread.

In summary above, the NMO50 is only good for 6M, not good on 2M or 70CM, while the NMO140 is good on both 6M (accidentally) and 2M, but not 70cm.

I was tossing up the idea of temporarily adding 6m to the car for a few road trips via 705 or 817 (10W max). Between the scanner antenna, the primary radio (50W dual band) and roof luggage carrier, my only real option is placing a third antenna (likely NMO50) 20-22 inches from the dual band radio antenna. While I'm not necessarily worried about the 10W of 6m getting to the other radio (or affecting its ground plane), I am worried about the 50W radio blowing through the front end of the radio used on 6m, even if it isn't resonant on those frequencies.

What are my options? Annoyingly enough, all the 6m bandpass filters I find are only good for 50-52MHz, where half the intended use is above 52MHz. Also, what is the usable bandwidth of the NMO50, I don't see anyone mentioning that in the specs, though the cut chart indicates it might be pretty narrow.

mrweather

Also, what is the usable bandwidth of the NMO50, I don't see anyone mentioning that in the specs, though the cut chart indicates it might be pretty narrow.
An old Larsen Antenna SourceBook I have states that the NMO50 has a 2:1 SWR bandwidth of 10%.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
An old Larsen Antenna SourceBook I have states that the NMO50 has a 2:1 SWR bandwidth of 10%.
So that would be roughly 5MHz centered on the tuned frequency? 2.5 up and 22.5 down?

Status
Not open for further replies.