6m radio and antenna recommendation as a simplex repeater

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Club is looking to add a 6m radio to our VHF/UHF linked repeater system. The 6m radio will run simplex, so many issues avoided there. I am looking for suggestions on a 100W 6m radio that we would run at 40-50 watts. Next is the antenna which would see plenty of snow/ice in the winter. The antenna will be tower mounted and no worries on mounting, coax, linking, etc. Just looking for a solid radio and antenna, new or used, to handle low repeater traffic. I don't think I want to futz with a Kenwood TK series to get it to work on 6 meters.

We have the cash, but don't really want to throw money at the project. We are hams, so we need to feign cheap to maintain our amateur status.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
For mountain top snow and ice I would recommend a DB Products DB-201 folded ground plane. The folded monopole has wider frequency range than a simple 1/4 wave vertical element and its pretty heavy duty for ice and snow. Or a commercial coaxial dipole with folded top element like a Kreco. I have one of each somewhere in the garage. :)

Not a lot of 6m mono band radios out there and some of the good ones are really old by now. You might be better off with a more modern multi band HF and just park it on 6m.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
One radio option would be an Alinco DR-06T. Dedicated 6m FM, runs about $250. But I have one I'll sell you for less, not because there is anything wrong with it but because I don't use it anymore. (I had my general for quite a while before I got an HF rig.)

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I appreciate all of the replies. They have provided me with what I need to consider this project further as well as the end goal of adding 6 meters and what it may offer over our current systems. We have some shortcomings with our current VHF/UHF duplexers we should address first. I do expect we will add six meters, but possibly at an alternate location which will not experience ice/snow. The DP Products and Kreco antenna options do look quite nice. The research I just did made me realize the drawbacks of the amateur options like Comet, Diamond, or a 6m Ringo. Those antennas work of course, but could use a design to decouple the RF.

Last edited: