7/800Mhz InterOp channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiTaLD

not to mention would most likely be an FCC violation.
From personal experience, the only thing that will prompt any FCC enforcement action is direct, malicious, continuous interference to a public safety system. I reported an annoying but potentially troublesome FCC rules violation issue to the FCC back in the spring. The guy I talked to at the FCC field office in Chicago seemed to know less about radio than I did, and did not seem real interested in checking the problem out. I don't think a few errant profane words from a couple of INDOT flaggers in southern Indiana on 8TAC simplex is going to garner any sort of an FCC response.

Honestly, I don't think anybody cares about complying with FCC rules anymore except amateur radio operators.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Honestly, I don't think anybody cares about complying with FCC rules anymore except amateur radio operators.

And not even all of them. Many don't learn the rules as part of the training, just learn the question pool and that's it.

I've had our agency use 8TAC##D channels for training purposes. Specifically, each year we do a live shooter training at local schools. Agencies from all over the state, including federal, come to the training. They needed something that wouldn't tie up our own system, and would be interoperable with all the other agencies.

As was stated earlier, getting officers to change channels is difficult.

And I just finished building a file for a new model that included all the 800 and 700 interop channels. Takes a lot of work for all that, I really wish they'd use them more.

w9sar

Premium Subscriber
And not even all of them. Many don't learn the rules as part of the training, just learn the question pool and that's it.

I've had our agency use 8TAC##D channels for training purposes. Specifically, each year we do a live shooter training at local schools. Agencies from all over the state, including federal, come to the training. They needed something that wouldn't tie up our own system, and would be interoperable with all the other agencies.

As was stated earlier, getting officers to change channels is difficult.

And I just finished building a file for a new model that included all the 800 and 700 interop channels. Takes a lot of work for all that, I really wish they'd use them more.

I'll revise my comments a little. I have no problems with using the mutual aid channels or TGs for training. At least that would be what I consider a "legitimate" use versus flagging operations by a road crew. But my opinion a few bucks (might) buy you a good cup of coffee. And agree about the amateur ops learning/abiding by the rules too. I've honestly become very disillusioned with ham radio in the last few years. I don't check into nets or have casual conversations anymore, concentrating more on emergency/public service comms these days. I do a very small amount of digital (non-voice digital) and an occasional voice special event contact just to make sure my gear is still working but that's about it. Recently become more interested in space/satellite work and now trying to build an Arduino-based antenna tracker. Sorry, that's off topic.

From personal experience, the only thing that will prompt any FCC enforcement action is direct, malicious, continuous interference to a public safety system.
We had them come to the Long beach grand prix one year after we had been jammed on 4 repeater freqs the year before. I was surprised they did knowing they concentrate on commercial broadcast and public safety.

2 FCC engineers showed up at the Portland race one year and came to me about a constant carrier on a 451 freq. I told them it was coming from the TV compound, I got their list at each track as the freq coordinator.

They said it wasn't a TV issue and walked down pit lane in 90 degree heat, making each team key a radio.
About 90 minutes later they stopped in to say I was right, the local SBE coordinator had made a mistake and granted use on a local radio station's RPU (remote pickup) freq.

bdub5

That one guy...
Premium Subscriber
Johnson County was involved in some incident somewhere along I-70 in Hancock County the other day. There were ISP and Greenfield PD units on the incident with them as well. It must have been a pursuit that ran all the way out there. They were using it H-MA1, tying up a voice channel at every site in the zone plus one when they could have been on H-MA2, H-MA3, or H-MA4 saving system resources. But since there is very little to no training that actually explains this, nobody does it. I would also guess that maybe their codeplugs probably give them quick access to H-MA1 in their home zone but not the other talkgroups.

JCSD investigators were looking for a wanted person at a local campground. They were in a foot pursuit for several minutes before the local posse showed up. The change to a MA TG wasn't very smooth for the JCSD investigators. It was a cluster.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
In the IDPSC radios which are all codeplugged by IPSC, the Mutual Aids including conventionals are split into local use in each Zone, and then ALL of them are by themselves in Zones 26 thru 38

Status
Not open for further replies.