70 Ft Long Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumper41

The Spark: Heath Kit Crystal Radio 1964
Premium Subscriber
Hi.. I have finally got around to installing a Long Wire antennae for my Shortwave receiver. I am using 14 Gauge solid copper. For most of you this is probably a silly question. Should I have stripped the insulation. I am not getting any reception. I am properly grounded, insulated at both ends and using 50U Shielded cable to bring it into my shack. Some advise would help. Thanks in advance. Greg

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Not a silly question at all, but you'd probably get more response by having the Moderators move your post to here (don't duplicate posts):

With regards to insulation it really makes no difference.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
As iMONITOR stated, not a silly question at all, and I just asked the same question last week, I do believe. You can go insulated (plastic coated) or bare wire, makes no difference. Some swear by solid copper, some swear by strand. Fortunately, wire is cheap so there is lots of room for experimentation and expansion. I am about to embark on that journey before the winter weather hits. :)

JD
kf4anc

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
RED FLAG - They are not getting any reception which is the issue.
1. Check your antenna connections.
2. If your receiver has a switch/setting for the wire antenna, is it set to use it?
3. Can you receive a local AM broadcast station or WWV on 10MHz?

If things look good but no reception, you may need a meter to check the continuity of each line with a meter. If everything checks out but still no reception, your radio may have failed. Hopefully it works out.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While we wait for this thread to be moved, you need to tell us a bit more. What radio or SDR are you using? What are you trying to hear? Unlike scanners, HF is not on 24 hours - you need to listen above 10 Mhz during the day, below this at night. Before you look at this site - which has a basic description of this - make sure your Flash player is on.....

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Avast is flagging that website with a Trojan - it may be a false positive, but be aware...Mike

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I just opened it to get the URL with no warnings. Tell Avast to go back to sleep. I use it regularly to check when I want to use my HF ham radio, especially with conditions being so poor lately.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
How did you connect the feed line to the long wire? Usually the feed line would be connected to one end of the long wire. The wire only needs to be stripped at the connection point to the feed line.
bb

majoco

Stirrer
Have you connected the long wire directly to the centre of the 50ohm coax? If you don't match them with a transformer then the coax cable is just looking like a capacitor shunting all your signals to ground. You'll need a 9:1 un-un up at the end of the wire to the coax.

Buy one or make your own....

a29zuk

Have you connected the long wire directly to the centre of the 50ohm coax? If you don't match them with a transformer then the coax cable is just looking like a capacitor shunting all your signals to ground. You'll need a 9:1 un-un up at the end of the wire to the coax.

While, I agree, a 9:1 balun can be used for optimum performance he shouldn't have a problem picking up signals with the center connector hooked directly up to the end of a 70' antenna. Two of my end fed wire antennas work fine this way.

My questions to the op would be:
Did you strip the insulation off of the wire antenna and physically connect it to the coax?
If you did, did you hook it up to the center conductor of the coax or the shield of it or both?
Hooking it up to the center conductor and leaving the shield of the coax open would be proper.
Hooking it up to the shield or both would short it to ground(I had a friend of mine do this).

You also didn't mention what receiver you are using.
If you are using a portable receiver, 70' of antenna could be too much for it, zapping the front end. Some portables have protection for this while others do not.

Jim

Sorry Tom, your post wasn't up when I started posting.

bumper41

Premium Subscriber
Not a silly question at all, but you'd probably get more response by having the Moderators move your post to here (don't duplicate posts):

Thank You

bumper41

Premium Subscriber

Thank You

bumper41

Premium Subscriber
While we wait for this thread to be moved, you need to tell us a bit more. What radio or SDR are you using? What are you trying to hear? Unlike scanners, HF is not on 24 hours - you need to listen above 10 Mhz during the day, below this at night. Before you look at this site - which has a basic description of this - make sure your Flash player is on.....

Mike
Hi, My receiver is a Realistic DX-300. Believe it or not, I purchased it unused in an unopened box. It has been sitting since it was new 30 or 40 years ago. I am just starting so I do not have a preference yet as to what I want to listen to. GE

bumper41

Premium Subscriber

Mike
Thanks, I will check out this link.. GE

bumper41

Premium Subscriber
How did you connect the feed line to the long wire? Usually the feed line would be connected to one end of the long wire. The wire only needs to be stripped at the connection point to the feed line.
bb
Hi, the Long Wire was connected to the solid center Wire of the coax.. I stripped the Long Wire at this connection and also soldered this connection. The coax is grounded to an earth ground prior to entering my house.

bumper41

Premium Subscriber

Buy one or make your own....

I have a balun which I originally installed, I removed it after not receiving a signal of any king. However, same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.