700/800MHz antenna for RTL-SDR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limapoint

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
Anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced 700/800MHz desktop antenna for use with the RTLSDR dongle? Will be monitoring Minnesota’s ARMER in Twin Cities.
Thanks!

boatbod

I can't say how it works as it doesn't arrive until Monday, but I just ordered one of these from digikey.com.

Admittedly it's not really a "desktop" antenna, but it does cover the 700-800Mhz band with 3db gain.
My plan is to see how it works inside, and if that doesn't get the job done for the system I'm trying to pull in, I'll put it up outside. I figure it has to be better than the cheap telescopic whips that I'm working with now.

NebraskaCoder

I can't say how it works as it doesn't arrive until Monday, but I just ordered one of these from digikey.com.

Admittedly it's not really a "desktop" antenna, but it does cover the 700-800Mhz band with 3db gain.
My plan is to see how it works inside, and if that doesn't get the job done for the system I'm trying to pull in, I'll put it up outside. I figure it has to be better than the cheap telescopic whips that I'm working with now.
Let us know how it goes!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Exactly what I'm using, but I've got a short SMA to SMA semi-rigid jumper.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Is this essentially using a moto handheld antenna with the right angle connector?
Yes, pretty much. If you have a strong signal right at the dongle, it's the easiest way to get an antenna attached to it without screwing around with coax.

Attachments

• 2019-05-03 21.14.48_1080.jpg
    2019-05-03 21.14.48_1080.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 8

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Is this essentially using a moto handheld antenna with the right angle connector?

Yeah, like GTR said, it's an easy solution. I carry mine in my laptop bag so I've always got something I can use when I'm out of the office. Usually it's just tossed up quick to check something. It's not intended to replace a proper receiver with a base antenna, just a quick-n-dirty solution for having a receiver in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.