700 Mhz Trunked Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessiedawg

I am ready to purchase a new handheld scanner and want to be sure that I am able to monitor and trunktrack in the 700 Mhz band. I'm a little confused as to what models are capable of 700 Mhz trunktracking, or what units prform best.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The only 2 scanners that can do 700 mhz trunk is the BCD396 and the GRE PSR-500. Both scanners are described very well in our wiki. I don't believe the recently-discontinued BR330 can do it.

73 Mike

rchalupajr

For handheld's, the Uniden 396T or GRE Psr-500. For Base/Mobiles the Uniden 996T or GRE Psr-600. All of these Unit's will Trunktrack 700Mhz Digital System's. As to which is best for your application, It's a matter of Preference. Check out the Forum's for each Model. There's a lot of info there to help you make an informed decision. The choice is ultimately up to you.

N9JIG

Sheriff
bessiedawg said:
I am ready to purchase a new handheld scanner and want to be sure that I am able to monitor and trunktrack in the 700 Mhz band. I'm a little confused as to what models are capable of 700 Mhz trunktracking, or what units prform best.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
As others have stated your choices are limited:

Handhelds: Uniden BCD396T, GRE PSR500
Base/Mobile: Uniden BCD996T, GRE PSR600

Each of these works well on both 800 and 700 MHz. StarCom21 sites. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages, I would suggest you check out the Uniden and GRE forums, they are discussed ad nauseam there.

A couple highlights include:
Site Trunking on the 996 is fantastic. Using a GPS allows you to turn on and off systems and sites automatically when driving, no user intervention required.
The Unidens also support Fire Tone Out if that interests you. You can't monitor other traffic at the same time though.
Both have versions of strong local signal searching. Uniden calls it CloseCall, GRE calls it Spectrum Sweeper. While they go about it slightly differently, they both work pretty well.
It seems the GRE has somewhat better digital decode and audio quality while the Uniden is more selective (less interference due to overload).
Both have some issues with decoding Simulcast towers, although anecdotally I have heard that the GRE's handle them a little better.

I have 1 or 2 of each of these and I would give the edge to the 996, especially if you are looking for a mobile, due to the superior site management. I have spent more time working with the Unidens so am more familiar with them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.