$700K Mobile Command Sits For Years - Hawaii

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
$700K Mobile Command Sits For Years - Hawaii
Repairs, Delays, Lost Paperwork Keep High-Tech Equipment Idle

HONOLULU -- A high-tech, state-of-the-art emergency mobile command unit that cost $700,000 has sat idle for 2 1/2 years after it arrived in Hawaii.

KITV found out that most of the vehicle was paid for with federal Homeland Security money. The $700,000, 48-foot-long, 16-foot wide trailer is supposed to be Hawaii's mobile communication command center in the event of a major disaster.
http://www.kitv.com/news/22469805/detail.html

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Radio-Monitoring-Hawaii/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Radio-Monitoring-Hawaii/message/351

RolnCode3

I know this is a regional specific forum and I apologize. However, a few points:

1) unless there's an emergency or disaster where should they have taken it? Just because it has sat in one location does not mean it was not in service.

2) it probably could be pulled by any appropriate truck since the comms equipment is in a standalone trailer. The issues with the tractor probably don't preclude service.

3) if you have an emergency and no comms equipment, how will the public respond? The second poster talks of the cart before the horse, but I defy you to tell me in what way having the equipment needed in a disaster - but having no disaster - is some form of poor planning.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Because it's still uncertain if it can actually function, a lot of maybes and probables. There was no planning here.

" It would take us at least 45 minutes to get it out, at least, and that's assuming he can get here,"

"If an earthquake or storm takes out phone lines and cell phone service, the only way to communicate with the rest of the world is via satellite. While the trailer has a satellite dish, the state has not installed that yet, because it comes with pricey maintenance service" Gee, an island and the satellite is too expensive?

"Then officials can get accurate weight and height measurements for the entire vehicle plus the cab so that they can obtain proper auto registration and insurance. Only then will it be truly ready to respond to emergencies."

It's too bad McGarrett is not around to crack the whip, one would think Wo Fat is running the show over there.

Having watched equipment repaired in Hawaii, this is the normal time line.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Reminds me of Jefferson County, MS. Spend thousands in taxpayer bonds, and FEMA grants to get equipment, towers, and radios for all the First Responders and VFD's to have an workable countywide system. Then put 80% of the radios and gear in a trailer and park it for 4 years. Take rest of radios and gear and install in the Sheriff's cruisers, and install the dispatch console. Use EOC/VFD system as secondary SO system and again let rest of radios and gear sit in trailer in SO parking lot for 4 years. Reason given: "we don't have a radio guy to program and install the equipment" Hmmmm..... How did it get in the SO dispatch center and the deputy's cruisers? Beauracrap is beauracrap no matter what state.

Status
Not open for further replies.