700Mhz Comes To Hampton Roads Area Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

N_Jay

trainman111 said:
Yes, I must have misread...I was under the impression that these communications were not receivable by a scanner.

It all depends.

P25 yes,
OpenSky, and anything TETRA like or CDMA like, NO.

trainman111

Okay, that makes sense now. I didn't realize that P-25 was used in 700Mhz. (I'm new to the whole 700Mhz thing). But I guess it makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification!

Nick

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
I'm picking up a data-channel type of signal on 774.53125 and 775.08125. I'm located near the Norfolk Airport.

N

N_Jay

n4voxgill said:
several trunk systems in the Norfolk area have now received their new YE licenses.

What does that have to do with 700 MHz?

N

N_Jay

n4voxgill said:
it means that most of them will remain on 800 MHz......................................
And that was doubted, why?:roll:

RBMTS

The data channel has been changed to 775.33125 today. Anyone monitoring in CC mode should probably enter all of the frequencies to make sure they catch any possible future changes of the control channel.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
Cyren Call is the second proposal that has been made to the FCC on 700 MHz. It has created a lot of interest in the public safety community. I believe that it will provide interoperability. It is up to congress whether the Cyren Call proposal can become a reality, not the FCC. If congress approves it, then it would require rulemaking by the FCC.

The first proposal that is working its way through the FCC at this time will add 4 MHz of additional spectrum to public safety. These are the 700 MHz guard bands that Nextel bought at auction, and as part of rebanding they have returned the spectrum to the FCC. This would extend the two blocks of 700 MHz outside of where the Uniden scanners cover.

Verizon is in the process of submitting a third proposal that would take away half of the 700 MHz frequencies and let Verizon use them and frequencies they have to build a nationwide public safety system. This would mean that many of the exisiting 700 licenses would have to be changed. Not much support from publilc safety for this proposal at this time, but it would not require congressional action.

In other words, 700 is not yet settled.

kg4rgn

Premium Subscriber
700 New System To Hampton Roads

I entered the freq to this thread and also did a little scanning in the 700 mhz band and only found one control channel and it was on 775.3312.

Not sure if this could be from the Richmond area?

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
The more I read on all of this 700mhz stuff the more I am seeing that IF it happens it is still many years away.

N

N_Jay

Stick0413 said:
The more I read on all of this 700mhz stuff the more I am seeing that IF it happens it is still many years away.

700 MHz is happening now in a lot of places.

Cyren call and those such proposals are way off.

First they need to get the go ahead, then the funding, them get designed and then built.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Just a quick question on that then. They are doing it in many places. Is it just standard trunking (Apco 25) or is it one of the systems you can not monitor?

N

N_Jay

Stick0413 said:
Just a quick question on that then. They are doing it in many places. Is it just standard trunking (Apco 25) or is it one of the systems you can not monitor?

I would bet that most if P25 (Fairly safe bet since most Public Safety trunking is Motorola)

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Pro96Com is listing these freqs on Tower 101 at this moment.
"01-2004","a",774.53125
"01-2048","a",774.80625
"01-2092","a",775.08125
"01-2132","c",775.33125
My bet is all 4 freqs need to be programmed.

If this tower is at the FD on Rosemont, streets and maps indicate my location is 22 miles from the tower and my decode rate is in the 90's on a Pro-96 (little less on 2096 because of antenna) so the strength is as good or better then VBeach 800 trunking towers. No transmissions have been logged since I started.

"The more I read on all of this 700mhz stuff the more I am seeing that IF it happens it is still many years away"

My bet is this system will be operational within a few months and continue to grow (add other cities) throughout this HR area for the next couple of years. Similar to the JCC-York-Williamsburg system. Though the only delay with that system was Williamsburg getting on board. The other two took off soon after testing began. Also, 700 trunking is happening already on a few statewide systems which have been running 800 MHz p25 systems for several years. MI, IN and CO systems come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.