700Mhz Comes To Hampton Roads Area Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBMTS

Listen up! 775.0875 Mhz. Good P25 data signal in Virginia Beach. Was almost full strength around Mt. Trashmore Park. It is reading a SID of 01E0. This could be the start of the new ORION Interop system. No group ID's heard yet, but I have not been able to listen in the daytime when comms might be most present.

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
Good catch. After I read your post, I tuned in to 775.0875 and heard the same data signal. I searched the FCC data base for that freq as well as for the range 774-776 and found nothing (I wasn't surprised). This could possibly be the start of Orion. Anyone else out there have some ideas?

RBMTS

Lots of field / range testing today. Active TG of 12801 for the techs. Voice channel was 774.5312 (as per the display on the 396). The actual transmitter site is at VBFD Station 16 (Rosemont & S. Plaza Trail). I think the data channel might actually be on 774.0850. I played with the step sizes on the 396 and was able to pickup the data channel on 775.0812, 775.0850, and 775.0875. The middle frequency seems the strongest - however it's anyones guess at this time without a license appearing on the FCC database.

I believe they are using the VA State general 700Mhz license for the system. It's probably on test frequencies at this time, and will most likely change once dedicated frequencies are assigned.

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
In a valley that only a few know where it is
Hi Folks,

I am running PRO96COM on site 101. Primary Control channel frequency is 775.08125.

Attached is the tower information I have captured.

The tables on both my BCD396 and my GRE's match.
HTH,

de
chris
kq4z

Attachments

• Tower0101.txt
    821 bytes · Views: 198
N

N_Jay

FPO703 said:
How can they be setting up a system on unlicensed frequencies and not get busted?

LOL,

Maybe the frequencies are licensed to the state and used with concurrence?:roll:

(But I am just guessing) :wink:

FPO703

The frequencies are not licensed anywhere. do a lookup on any of them in the FCC Database and you'll see for yourself.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Got a CW id using procom96 Wptz775, When I run it thru FCC I get and error about not having permission

Callsign Results [ULS DATABASE]

Additional Callsign Licensee Name Service
SITE WPTZ775 Virginia, Commonwealth of SL
Status Code COMM/PRIV Attn Phone
Active Y Paul D. Hoppes 8043715580
Address P O Box City State
110 S 7th St 3rd Floor Richmond VA
Zip Auth Issue Date Expire Date
23219 N Jan 18, 2002 Jan 18, 2017
Printed Last Change Applicant Elig
Jan 22, 2002 Jan 18, 2002 G

Mike

Last edited:

gcgrotz

I don't think that spectrum has been given to PS, I believe TV still has it for a couple more years. Possibly they have an STA for testing, wouldn't show up in the database.

P.S. However, I remember the state of Nevada had state pd on a system they just made up freqs for, including fed and railroad. Got in a bunch of trouble too.

gcgrotz

See, I admit I didn't take time to look. I was making a WAG at it. I guess from looking at the application there are no specific freqs assigned so that must be done through APCO. Just another WAG.

On a related note, this weeks issue of RCR Wireless news has a story about Verizon and a company called Cyren Call Communications are proposing to build nationwide public safety networks in the 700 MHz band and lease them back to the agencies that want service. If that happens there will be no more monitoring of any of the participating agencies.

N

N_Jay

gcgrotz said:
See, I admit I didn't take time to look. I was making a WAG at it. I guess from looking at the application there are no specific freqs assigned so that must be done through APCO. Just another WAG.

On a related note, this weeks issue of RCR Wireless news has a story about Verizon and a company called Cyren Call Communications are proposing to build nationwide public safety networks in the 700 MHz band and lease them back to the agencies that want service. If that happens there will be no more monitoring of any of the participating agencies.

No reason to guess, there is much written on all these issues.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
gcgrotz said:

I am sorta new at this. Been scanning for years but just now getting into serious trunking and digital stuff. You say it will be the last of monitoring the participating agencies when they go to 700MHz. I was wondering how this is. I can program frequencies from 764.00000 on up in the 700MHz band (In my Pro-96.) Just wondering if they are going to go lower in the 700 band or what.

N

N_Jay

Stick0413 said:
I am sorta new at this. Been scanning for years but just now getting into serious trunking and digital stuff. You say it will be the last of monitoring the participating agencies when they go to 700MHz. I was wondering how this is. I can program frequencies from 764.00000 on up in the 700MHz band (In my Pro-96.) Just wondering if they are going to go lower in the 700 band or what.

These networks, if they ever happen will be cellular like technology akin to TETRA, iDEN, and/or CDMA.

gcgrotz

N_Jay said:
These networks, if they ever happen will be cellular like technology akin to TETRA, iDEN, and/or CDMA.

Right. Just because they are 700MHz does not mean anything. IF the agencies choose to join these networks (IF they even get built), THEN you can forget about monitoring them. You can be sure that many agencies will not easily give up control of their public safety networks, and even if they move to 700 they could use a more conventional system.

I work for a CDMA carrier and we can't monitor individual conversations off the air. The closest we could come in the field is to monitor it at the T1 level. Even that is going away with the introduction of packet backhaul. Of course, calls can be monitored at the switch in compliance with CALEA federal wiretap laws. But over the air... nope.

Even so N_Jay, I guess I didn't realize that they were handing out 700 Mhz licenses yet. If you have any more info, let us know.

Also, Stick0413, there are commercial wireless (cellular/pcs) allocations and public safety allocations at 700. The commercial carriers will have to bid for them at auction.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

gcgrotz said:
. . . Even so N_Jay, I guess I didn't realize that they were handing out 700 Mhz licenses yet. If you have any more info, let us know.
. . . ..

All it takes is a ULS license search:roll: :confused:

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
I have a question. If you can't monitor 700Mhz. communications, what is the point in creating a scanner that can scan it? If I can remember correctly, the BCD996t can monitor 700Mhz., but what's the point? You're not going to hear anything...right?

Nick

N

N_Jay

trainman111 said:
I have a question. If you can't monitor 700Mhz. communications, what is the point in creating a scanner that can scan it? If I can remember correctly, the BCD996t can monitor 700Mhz., but what's the point? You're not going to hear anything...right?

Nick

I think you have misread what is in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.