700mhz EDACS Unitrunker problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbedsole

Premium Subscriber
I was poking around on my PSR-500 a few days ago and came across some EDACS control channels around 794.xxxxx as well as a few voice channels surrounding them. Can't find any records for those channels.

It appears that this is a 700mhz version of our city/county's EDACS system that is still being used in the 800mhz range.

I tried to use Unitrunker to get some data on the 700mhz control channels that I found (using the SRCH feature) on my PSR-500, but I could never get the data screen to come up.

I know I have the scanner hooked up correctly, because I was able to use Unitrunker on the city's 800mhz system when I tried that.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong??

Thanks,
Bart in Corpus Christi

nd5y

You are hearing images of 800 MHz stations. GRE scanners are infamous for that.
There are no control channels or repeater outputs in the 776-806 MHz band.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
For some reason, GRE scanners pick up images (duplicates) of 800 MHz frequencies, roughly 69.5 MHz down.. example, there is a system in my province that runs an EDACS system on 866.1000 - you can hear the control channel strongly (but it won't decode) on 796.5.

It's not unique to EDACS systems either - I have heard all sorts of other comms such as conventional and trunked voice in that region too.

Recent firmware updates to GRE radios (at least the PSR500/600 family and the PSR800) have blocked 796.x to 805 (IIRC) from being tuned at all in the scanner. Presumably that means GRE either can't fix it (at least not in software) or isn't going to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.