• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

700mhz glass mount antenna

Tripertoo

I have installed a 700mhz Motorola XTL 5000 in my unit but do not want to have to drill the roof to mount the antenna.
Will a window mount antenna work for this application and if so, can anyone recommend one that they have had success with?
Thank you in advance- Fred

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
<snip> Will a window mount antenna work for this application… <snip>
Hi Fred and welcome to Radio Reference!

To give you the best possible answer, we would need to know what your vehicle is. For example, mounting an antenna on the rear window of a tractor-trailer rig with a 60 foot trailer in tow, radiation to the rear will be diminished by the trailer. The same would be true for a pickup truck with a camper box in the bed. You get the idea. Knowing your vehicle type would enable us to also give you some possible alternatives to a window mount installation.

I know a lot of us have practical real-world experience in this area so we look forward to helping you out.

Again, welcome to Radio Reference and I hope you will gain a lot of knowledge in our postings, both here and in other threads.

Dave

Tripertoo

Thank you for the response.
It is a F-350 with a low service body. If I mounted on at top of rear window I would think it would be above the top of the cab with nothing behind it.
-Fred

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Hi Fred, you have a decent plan then. Another possibility would be a mag-mount antenna on the service body. Actually, that is probably where I would go — — on top of the service body if it is metal. On my 1988 Ford F250HD SuperCab, I had antennas screwed on to the ladder rack frame. Dave

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thank you for the response.
It is a F-350 with a low service body. If I mounted on at top of rear window I would think it would be above the top of the cab with nothing behind it.
-Fred

Larsen KG-3E786UD, and have them install the mini-UHF connector for you.

If this is a work radio, and your employer supplied the radio, I'd talk to whoever does the radio programming for them and ask them about which radio shops they recommend.
A glass mount antenna can work fine, but you have to be careful where you mount it. You cannot place it over any defroster wires, or on some tinted glass.
A good shop can install a permanent mount NMO antenna on the roof of the truck. That'll give you better performance without the mounting challenges of the glass mounts. They'll also cut the coax to length and test everything out afterwards with their antenna analyzer.

It is not hard to install permanent NMO mounts on these trucks. I have an F350 at work with a service body and 3 NMO mount antennas on it, as well as a blade LTE/GPS/WiFi antenna. Full size American pickups are some of the easier vehicles to install in.

Tripertoo

Thank you to everyone for their responses.
Our radio shop just does programming and the Motorola dealer is $130 hour with a minimum so it’s not worth that.
Will get the recommended Larsen.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Sti-Co is another glass-mount antenna brand. Sti-Co is very good antenna product and they also specialize in covert/disguised antennae. However, Sti-Co antennae are extremely pricey probably in the $500+ range for a 700 Meg glass-mount antenna these days.

The Larsen Glass-Mount antenna is a great quality antenna and will perform very well. You won't regret purchasing the Larsen antenna. I have one on my Jeep for UHF freqs and I was surprised on the performance of the antenna. My VSWRs on my most use freqs is 1.2:1 and is 1.6:1 on the 5 Meg off-set of that freq pair.

I don't operate below 460 Megs so I don't know what the VSWRs are like below 460 Megs.

Last edited: