700mhz scuttle-butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa1emt

Premium Subscriber
I have heard a few rumors and would like to know if anyone has heard the same.
Due to some issue with the 800mhz smartnet system, I was told that there going to a 700mhz system here in harris county area.
Now forgive me now as I bet I wasnt told everything. But what if anything is true with this rumor.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
There's a great report on the Texas Statewide Interoperability Executive Committee or Region 49 website http://tsiec.region49.org. Check out the Statewide Communications Interoperability Plan (SCIP) just updated last month;

http://www.region49.org/txrc/files/Texas_SCIP_2008_2010_Version_1_2_070708.pdf

Among other things it talks about;

A 700 MHZ P25 system for Harris County linked to StarNet.
A 700 MHZ P25 "Overlay" for D/FW to link their systems until a full 700 MHZ system can be installed.
A 700 MHZ P25 "Overlay" for San Antonio to link their system to surrounding counties/area.
A 700 MHZ P25 system to replace ETMC's system linking StarNet to DFW.

And on and on and on. It also cites our "antiquated" and "barely operable" UHF and VHF systems in use throughout the state.

There's even some mention of a Texas statewide 700 MHZ P25 system somewhere in the future.

And Texas will be able to implemment all these systems for the low, low price of just under $1 BILLION. Such a deal, buy your radio manufacturer stock now.

Russell

Last edited:

ke5fgc

Premium Subscriber
why can't they just stick with what they have now, which works just fine.. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Also I told by a reliable source that Harris County and ETMC will share the same zone controller for the P25 system (the zone controller is located in Montgomery county) and ETMC will link to it via T-1. The Austin, Travis, Williamson county system will keep its current zone controller and eventually link in to the system sort of like a Motorola Omnilink system. Longview is also getting ready to roll out a digital system which will probably join ETMC's. Also looks like Cherokee county will abandon their VHF voter system for the Digital system when it comes online.

-josh

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
If I recall correctly there has also been some discussion of a City of Houston 700 system.
It is going to happen. The City even has a Web site up for it: http://www.houstontx.gov/it/radio/
All we're waiting for now is the announcement of a vendor and awarding of the contract. Two companies, presumably Motorola and MA/COMM, submitted two proposals apiece.

The HC Regional 700 system is being built out piecemeal, or "as funding becomes available" as Steve Jennings put it in licensing documents sent to the FCC. Currently the only full-time users are Matagorda County, Walker County, and various federal and state narcotics enforcement groups who just began using encryption. If you can afford it, I would recommend dedicating a Uniden 396/996 or one of the new GRE scanners to search duty across all of the known sites to catch talkgroups as they become active.

There was a dirty, unsubstantiated rumor floating around for awhile that the city of Pasadena was going to switch to P25 using their own funding to build their own dedicated system by the end of this year, but it's looking now like that probably won't happen. When they do eventually switch, expect full encryption of at least PD and possibly fire.. public safety here has traditionally been pretty hostile to radio hobbyists.

Status
Not open for further replies.