Kenwood: 710G Packet / TNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

firejay15tcy

Premium Subscriber
Hello all.. I've been using my 710G for APRS for a while now in my vehicle. I got a second one though to use for Packet radio in my mobile go kit. I'm running into an issue though getting the TNC to respond properly.

I've tried three different USB to Serial converts and two different cables to the radio itself.

I can not get FLDIGI or WinLink to open the TNC. I've tried a variety of the pre-programmed settings as well as some I found online. My problem is that when either application goes to actually communicate with the TNC it says that the TNC is not found or is not responding.

I know though that some communication though is going on because I can connect N1MM up and the it will read the frequency I'm tuned to and will respond when I change the frequency on the radio itself. Even then though I can't control the radio from N1MM.

Looking for anyone with advise or actual experience setting up this radio for packet use with the internal TNC.

And yes I'm setting it for PACKET12 and the "D" is on showing that the TNC is turned on. I've also made sure that the software is setup to use the correct side of the radio for it's signal.

Thanks K5MBK

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Which serial port on the TM-D710 are you using?

The TM-D710 has two serial ports. There is one on the back of the RF deck and there is another one on the back of the control head. In order to access the internal TNC, you have to connect to the serial port on the control head.

firejay15tcy

Premium Subscriber
Oops..

Wow.. thanks for the catch on that. I read the larger manual and was thinking it was talking about the two ports on the back of the transceiver itself. Never noticed the one of the back of the remote head. Downloaded the smaller manual and sure enough there is is in black and white..

When in doubt ensure it's plugged in and RTFM.. LOL

Thanks!

jtrojan

did you ever get FLDIGI to work? just picked up the 710g and wanting to do the same

Status
Not open for further replies.