72.640? Who is the user?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatshovel

Hi all,
I was browsing throught the fcc frequency lookup tonight and finally have found out the frequencys to the tower down from my house. The freqs according to the fcc dababase are 72.640 and 72.740? Who would use these freqs? Are these in FM mode? I will punch them into my Icom R-2 and see what happens. Just curious, any body got any ideas?

Thanks,
Joey

rcvmo

Looks like remote receiver link channels. They use those freq.s for point to point comss, plus paging channels for tornado/early warning sirens up here.
rcvmo

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> Who would use these freqs?

Copeland Communications and Electronics in Elizabeth City. They are a member of the American Association of Paging Carriers, so I presume "paging" is among the services they offer.

>> Are these in FM mode?

Yes. Licensed for analog voice and / or data.

The frequencies are used in conjunction with a network of repeaters on 462.875 MHz, as well as a low-power UHF splinter frequency at one of the 6 licensed sites.

You can tell when a frequency is licensed as a "link" between two points by looking in the "class" section of the online license. "FX1" represents a fixed link. I'm not sure if the FCC rules require a directional antenna be used for fixed links ( ... anyone know ? ... ), but they usually are used to achieve the best point-to-point signal with the least amount of power.

Jeff Multer

Status
Not open for further replies.