7202 Group, UtahRadio, and local scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7YUO

Greetings
We used to have a lively local group.
When UCAN was just getting started and winter 0lympics were looming.

Today when I came to the Utah forum,
I discovered that the thread 'Unitrunker Warning' was gone.
I found that it had been removed and exiled to another forum.
'Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming'

And that kind of meddling is one of my pet peeves with RR.
When we had 7202 Group, UtahRadio, IdaScan, & others,
what we posted there stayed there. We could post about anything.
Local federal, railroads, trunker, ham, you name it,
and it stayed on our local forum.

Some may state that my topic should have been posted in a forum for that topic.
Well, we are all entitled to our opinions, and mine is
Whatever I am using to monitor communications in Utah,
Scanners, SDR, Unitrunker, Antennas,
Should be discussed in the Utah Forum, and remain there.

So I would be happy to see someone take over the UtahRadio page.
Where we could post about unknown talkgroups, 'the "e" word'
and anything else that crosses our minds or shows up on unitrunker.

RR meddling is getting almost as bad as twitter.
This post will probably get moved to the 'Gripe-Grouch-Grump' forum

Smitty, N7YUO

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Absolutely hilarious!.....

Smitty - Don't worry we will come by and visit from time to time when they move you!!

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I was a part of the thread that got moved. Moving it makes sense to me. There was no real specific info in the thread, covering Utah. It was about a problem with a computer program. I had thought about that before I posted, but wanted to generate some "traffic" in the Utah forum. That being said, I didn't know there was a Grouch forum. I'll have to look for it.

N7YUO

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! (ha ha)

I'm sure N7OLQ remembers back when the person managing our 'Confidential Database'
wanted to omit certain 'sensitive talkgroups'
I made my opinion real clear on that.
I regret that it turned the forum into a, uh, hmm, "urinating contest".

I do try to be more civil these days.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
As we get older (excuse me,,,, more experienced), we learn (hopefully) to better pick our battles. ;)

Each time I start to disseminate info I've collected, I have to decide what should, or should not, be shared. And to who. Part of it would be "sensitive", and a larger part is, "if you want to know, figure it out for yourself! I do share, but........

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Greetings
We used to have a lively local group.
When UCAN was just getting started and winter 0lympics were looming.

Today when I came to the Utah forum,
I discovered that the thread 'Unitrunker Warning' was gone.
I found that it had been removed and exiled to another forum.
'Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming'

And that kind of meddling is one of my pet peeves with RR.
When we had 7202 Group, UtahRadio, IdaScan, & others,
what we posted there stayed there. We could post about anything.
Local federal, railroads, trunker, ham, you name it,
and it stayed on our local forum.

Some may state that my topic should have been posted in a forum for that topic.
Well, we are all entitled to our opinions, and mine is
Whatever I am using to monitor communications in Utah,
Scanners, SDR, Unitrunker, Antennas,
Should be discussed in the Utah Forum, and remain there.

So I would be happy to see someone take over the UtahRadio page.
Where we could post about unknown talkgroups, 'the "e" word'
and anything else that crosses our minds or shows up on unitrunker.

RR meddling is getting almost as bad as twitter.
This post will probably get moved to the 'Gripe-Grouch-Grump' forum

Smitty, N7YUO

What's the "e" word?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
e= encrypted. At one time, any posts on encrypted comms, was very much taboo.

That was never true as a blanket policy on these forums. Posts discussing encryption on it's own are perfectly fine here on RR... always have been. As you can see in the quoted header notice below, only rants about one particular aspect of encryption are not allowed in the general forums, but a location is clearly provided for those discussions.

Check here:

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/addressing-the-elephant-in-the-room.405045/page-4#post-3290433

and this is the text that appears in the forum header (unless the reader has previously dismissed the header)

Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
https://forums.radioreference.com/r...ive-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
That was never true as a blanket policy on these forums. Posts discussing encryption on it's own are perfectly fine here on RR... always have been. As you can see in the quoted header notice below, only rants about one particular aspect of encryption are not allowed in the general forums, but a location is clearly provided for those discussions.

Check here:

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/addressing-the-elephant-in-the-room.405045/page-4#post-3290433

and this is the text that appears in the forum header (unless the reader has previously dismissed the header)

I sit corrected. I had been second thinking the "very much" part, I posted. I'll blame it on the quarantine. :cool:
Thank-you for the clarification.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if it has to do with "seasoning" or "experience" but my 2 cents say's there are too many rules to remember. I read a post about "ranting" about the dreaded e years ago and did the same as gldavis - just assumed it meant no talk at all about it. So there are 2 of us that
stand corrected.

Paul

N7YUO

Soooo tempted to stir something up, but,
I promise to behave.
Besides, those who stir the pot should be forced to lick the spoon!

• Haha
Reactions: 522

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
It appears I need to start checking this forum more frequently again. I've been spending a lot of time in some facebook scanner groups, but none of them are Utah specific. I kind of adopted the attitude that the system was pretty set with everything being known. I've operated that way for a few years and really was not scanning much for about a year. With Covid, I'm at my office/shack desk most all day working from home and the scanners are on nearly all the time now. I picked up a SDS100 and a couple of SDS200's (there may be another one in the future) so that increases motivation - those beautiful displays.
Brett - N7OLQ (former 7202 group Admin)

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
As with everything else, there are changes over the years. I, also, have been away for a while, and have started to get back into the listening/monitoring of local comms. Welcome back.

ranger2004

It appears I need to start checking this forum more frequently again. I've been spending a lot of time in some facebook scanner groups, but none of them are Utah specific. I kind of adopted the attitude that the system was pretty set with everything being known. I've operated that way for a few years and really was not scanning much for about a year. With Covid, I'm at my office/shack desk most all day working from home and the scanners are on nearly all the time now. I picked up a SDS100 and a couple of SDS200's (there may be another one in the future) so that increases motivation - those beautiful displays.
Brett - N7OLQ (former 7202 group Admin)
[QUOTE="gldavis, post: 3359606, membe
maybe we need a local group again. Invite only

Premium Subscriber
We have a hard enough time getting posts here... lets not make it even more difficult going "invite only" somewhere else

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I haven't had any difficulty with any of my posts, in the past. As for the "invite only", that applies to an actual get-together. Current regulations require a limit to the numbers that are gathering together. So it would be sort-of invite, and sort-of reservation. We really wouldn't want to violate any "current" health rules, now would we? ;)

KD7DDC

Premium Subscriber
We could possibly have a virtual meet-up. Zoom is time-limited for free accounts but I think Google Meet currently has a very extended free limit.

Premium Subscriber
I haven't had any difficulty with any of my posts, in the past. As for the "invite only", that applies to an actual get-together.

I wasn't referring to the difficulty of posts; but rather the level of participation. ...Or lack there of.

Also, sorry on the verbage... didnt know that "invite only" was an in person thing.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Participation levels in a lot of things, have decreased. Or I should say, Watching other people submit, is the new participation sport. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 522

kirkco

Premium Subscriber
Had a Bearcat (210 I think) in the 70's (a CB too) - bought with hard earned Paperboy money. Eventually the tech changed and scanning was not so fun - until the cell phone bricks became more popular (a lot of fun...listening to "rich" people chatter). Then it all become encrypted or not scannable as tech improved. Then a lot of years passed for me without scanning too much...until the SDS's were released...now back to a lot of fun! I've submitted many "finds" to RR past couple years. I have more in my "back pocket" deciding what to do with them next. Talk of encryption is scary (at public service level), but guess what...with the riots and police accountability/transparancy....er um "stuff", maybe encryption talk will slow down some...who knows...it will always be a (tech) cat-and-mouse game.

Status
Not open for further replies.