7202 SL Simo TG 96. Very annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf7yn

Does anyone know who the jackass is that is running NOAA weather 24/7 on SL Simo TG 96? Very annoying to say the least and a poor use of radio resources.

fastattackus

Does anyone know who the jackass is that is running NOAA weather 24/7 on SL Simo TG 96? Very annoying to say the least and a poor use of radio resources.

The "Jackasses" as you call them would be the fire and sheriff special operation and search and rescue folks. They typically run it in the summer time so that during fire season and search and rescues firefighters can get updated information at any time by switching to that talk group.

But I'd imagine that during avalanche season they might also be concerned with temp, storms and other things that just might impact their lives out rescuing people and doing their jobs. Sorry it's so annoying to you that they have that resource available. PS it's not broadcasting right now so the operational need must be over. Hope it's not too hard for you to ignore it next time. Or just program it into your system and then lock it out.

Ya, sarcasm intended. Not everything people don't understand is a waste of tax dollars and resources.

kf7yn

I watched 7202 site 3 overload quite a few times and some units complained of getting "bonked". How do you justify putting that above other PD/FD traffic who are waiting for an available frequency to open up?

Last edited:

fastattackus

I guess I'm just not willing to call the guys I work with Jackasses for perceiving a need to use their radio system as they see fit. In your first post you said it "annoyed you" how they were using it. I'm sorry it bogs down your computer tracking of the system.

If it in fact was stressing the system to the breaking point they can shut down the affiliated radio and save the system. I've never been bonked yet on the system from lack of frequency, just bonked because other officers beat me to the button. And if in fact it was effecting operational radio use we have a complaint process for that as well.

This is the 2nd time you've started a thread about how much it "Bugs you" that this TGID is being used 24/7. In the 2 years since you posted it the first time it hasn't collapsed he system and we've worked some pretty big events since then. I understand that this is your hobby and you are all in. This is my profession and whether it was a mistake or an operational need, I get ruffled when somebody calls my brothers in arms "Jackasses". You are probably a great guy, one who probably had a similar feeling about the people you worked shoulder to shoulder with. Maybe even would've felt the same way if somebody who didn't know them or why they did certain things took pot shot at them because it effected their hobby.

I don't participate here often anymore because it upsets me too much to read what people post without knowing all the behind the scenes info. So I will now bow out of this discussion by simply saying enjoy your hobby. Stay safe and keep listening.

Last edited:

kd7rto

Using it as needed, and selecting the TG then turning the volume down, are two different matters. Nobody's going to actually listen for all that time. My wild guess is that a radio in one of the various emergency operations trailers is causing it.

To run that long, UCAN personnel must be aware of it, aware of which radio is the cause, and will be in contact with the responsible party.

Status
Not open for further replies.