75meter band is quite interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

Let's not forget the original reason to complain back in the day: incentive licensing! SSB!

The *itching has always been around, but the reasons change depending on how old you are.

Yep, use the VFO. Do something different and interesting.

I can remember being 15 years old and tuning my Heathkit HR-10 receiver to 75 meters and hearing some very colorful jokes and stories from the drunk geezers of the day. Now that I can lay claim to that title myself, there is just a different batch there. I rarely listen in and never participate (I'm not "better," just uninterested). I also have a "net dipole" up, but most of the time I'm using a vertical in the extra class voice portion of 80 (I know. "Elitist."). Out for DX.

One can play radio police to futility. The fact is that most of them congregate in one place and there are plenty of other frequencies/modes that have nothing to do with them. A 90s song from the band Extreme comes to mind. If you don't like what you [hear] there... Enjoy the hobby. QSY and let them have their fun. When folks get older or have to resort to alcohol to dim their wits, sometimes the only thing they have fun doing is complaining.

JustLou

Things I hear most on 75:

#1) People complaining about their medical conditions.
#2) People complaining about Liberals.
#3) People complaining about the ham operators talking on +/- 3 KHz away from them.
#4) Incoherent gibberish about something that happened 40+ years ago.

SCPD

QRT
Some of it is quite comical, but there is a few nets here that are informing. No bull, weather,travel, equipment ,etc. Night time can be a crap shoot, not only 75, you never know what you will come across. I guess it depends on location and how much you can pull in. That's the fun of it !

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
There were some guys a few years back on 3868 called the Nerd Net. I got a kick out of them. It was that net that got me to upgrade!

elk2370bruce

Things I hear most on 75:

#1) People complaining about their medical conditions.
#2) People complaining about Liberals.
#3) People complaining about the ham operators talking on +/- 3 KHz away from them.
#4) Incoherent gibberish about something that happened 40+ years ago.

Night-time cw is still alive on seventy five. There was also a slow-code net where experienced operators helped the newbies get their skills up to snuff. I think that one is still around. In any activity, there are always the curmudgeons that are change resistant and hate having a qso with anyone licensed less than 20 years ago or born since 1950. Unfortunately, they constitute a vocal but annoying minority that tarnishes all of us. I'll still turn the vfo up to 20, 17, 15, and 12. Ten and six meters are interesting when band conditions permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.