75meter band is quite interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdobbs2001

I was listening in to the band testing my new radio and that is quite an interesting band. One convo you can tell was getting more colorful and political by the minute, and the effects of alcohol quite present as well.

Is this always been like that up in those high meters?

jackj

It has gotten really bad since the FCC decided, along with the ARRL, that we needed more hams, dropped the CW test requirements and brought a lot of CB'ers down to the lower HF bands. FLAME RESISTANT PANTS ARE IN PLACE!

wbswetnam

jdobbs2001;2191950.... and the effects of alcohol quite present as well. Is this always been like that up in those high meters?[/QUOTE said:
Aww com'on, *hic* I'm nnnnnot as think as you you drunk I am!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Is this always been like that up in those high meters?

Yes, it has. Go check out old back issues of QST going back into the 30's, and read the letters to the editor complaining about the nonsense going on, on the 75 meter band.

And imagine... the code requirement was still in place. :roll:

aaron315

8yvu3y7u.jpg

kb8viv

The bands have gone down hill badly as of late. It's not only the lower hf bands, 14.313 for example. I find it hard to believe that these knuckleads will break all of the rules/laws, throw out their call signs, and nothing ever happens. But, pirates are always under attack. Go figure.

Steve

WB4CS

75 Meters is where old hams go to complain about life. For some reason, they are unhappy with everything and everyone and they need a place to complain about it. It's always the President's fault (regardless of what party he represents), they always have some kind of bodily issue they need to talk about, and often their mental state is so bad they forget how to act like an adult and begin cussing at everything.

I pretty much ignore the existence of 75 Meters, I just consider it "CB 2.0". Now 80 Meters (down around the DX window and the CW portion of the band) is a whole 'nother animal and is a great place to operate.

And yes, it has always been this way. Back when Riley Hollingsworth worked for the FCC a few of the worst ones would actually get their hand slapped for how they operated. But since Riley's departure from the FCC, what goes on on 75 Meters is mostly ignored.

And, since it has been going on for decades and a good number of the LIDs on 75 Meters passed a 20 WPM code test, we can rule out that dropping the code requirement is what caused this problem. The problem is crotchety old men that aren't happy with life and the world, and they feel they must make everyone else miserable too. Well, that and the lack of FCC enforcement.

So, I'm not sure if you're a new ham or not, but welcome to HF! Just ignore the 75 Meter band and you should be quite happy with HF.

WB4CS

The bands have gone down hill badly as of late. It's not only the lower hf bands, 14.313 for example. I find it hard to believe that these knuckleads will break all of the rules/laws, throw out their call signs, and nothing ever happens. But, pirates are always under attack. Go figure.

Steve

14.313 has also been happening for DECADES. It's not anything new. Just Google "14.313" and you could spend a few days reading about what's been going on there for almost 30 years now.

elk2370bruce

Steve

Thats the same "ship of fools" that used to hang out on 14.275. These clowns are not new to the hobby. They've been licensed for years - so this gang can't be layed at the feet of "codeless" operators. That argument is as old and tired as those who tout it. According to them, the dropping of the code requirement has caused global warming, pattern baldness, and middle aged flatulence. I much prefer hanging out on 20, 17, and 15 ( ssb, cw, and psk) where the manners are better and good qso's abound from around the world.

wbswetnam

Thats the same "ship of fools" that used to hang out on 14.275. These clowns are not new to the hobby. They've been licensed for years - so this gang can't be layed at the feet of "codeless" operators. That argument is as old and tired as those who tout it. According to them, the dropping of the code requirement has caused global warming, pattern baldness, and middle aged flatulence. I much prefer hanging out on 20, 17, and 15 ( ssb, cw, and psk) where the manners are better and good qso's abound from around the world.

I agree... some claim that these bad operators are all former CBers who "sneaked in" without the code requirement and now what had been a happy, carefree hobby is ruined by the newcomers. Well first off, not all CBers are bad operators. Second, not all hams (who were never CBers) are good operators. You can't paint all with the same brush. And third, the hobby isn't "ruined". Just as it is with your TV set, if you don't like what you hear, you can always change the channel / frequency. It's better to do that than waste time grousing about "those *^&%$ CBers have ruined the hobby".

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The activity on 75/80 meters is dependent on the time of day and somewhat regionally dependent, too.

My dipole is specifically tuned towards the higher end of the band because there are nets on 3900, 3910, 3920, and 3940 kHz that I frequently check into. But once those nets are done, I generally tune elsewhere.

On the other hand, you'll hear AM operators around 3875, 3880, 3885 kHz. They are putting out some incredible signals with old technology.

On yet another hand, tune down around 3630-3640 kHz and listen to the ESSB guys. Most of them are very technically oriented.

Bottom line is that I think anyone who bases their opinion of 75/80 meters on the late-night antics of a few segments of the band are missing the point. Your radio has a VFO--use it.

k9rzz

It's the same old thing. Nothing new. Tune around during Field Day at 2am after the good ol' boys get a few cold 807s in 'em. Seeeeek Youuuu Field Dayyyyyy !

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

jackj said:
It has gotten really bad since the FCC decided, along with the ARRL, that we needed more hams, dropped the CW test requirements and brought a lot of CB'ers down to the lower HF bands. FLAME RESISTANT PANTS ARE IN PLACE!

Its the biggest mistake they ever made was when they took away the code ......

WB4CS

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Its the biggest mistake they ever made was when they took away the code ......

The code/no code argument has been beaten to death, but I have to ask why it was the biggest mistake made? I'm a 20 WPM Extra, and also passed the 5 and 13 WPM tests, and even I don't disagree with taking away the code element.

We don't test people on their skills using SSB, AM, FM, RTTY, or any other mode of communication. So why should we test people based on their ability to use one mode of communication?

Some old timers like to say it was a barrier that kept the riff-raff off the HF bands, but that's not the case. Most of the people that act like Lids on the HF bands passed their code tests decades ago.

The "biggest mistake" made was the FCC placing amateur radio low on their list of priorities for rule enforcement.

kj3n

As a rule, all the VFOs on all my radios have exactly the same "problem" on 80/75. They don't tune above 3800. On the rare occasion that the "problem" goes away, it never lasts for more than 5 minutes.

Unless it's the SSB DX window (3785-3800), or the relatively small digital section (3570-3600), I don't bother with the rest of the band.

Oh, and CW is the work of The Devil. :p

KD8DVR

Well, another theory... With the permissive and politically correct society we have today, no one wants anyones feelings hurt...

While, amateur Radio has an FCC mandate to be "self-poiicing", anyone who attempts to follow this mandate, is labeled a "Radio Cop"

We are supposed to follow the rules and not tolerate those who don't. Many people forget this.

I must not be hearing these people on 75... Those I hear are actually pretty much following the rules. But yeah, I remember hearing horror stories back in the 80s, before the "Code Wars" started.

elk2370bruce

I remember, while a Novice in the 1960's, the night-time 80 meter novice cw was a loads of fun and a great learning tool. I went from 5 wpm to 25 wpm in just a few months with a heathkit AT-1 and a navy surplus receiver that weighed more than I did. Those were the days where if it didn't glow, it wasn't Ray De OH. I do find that most people on the air follow the rules and also are willing to help the newly licensed operator get comfortable doing the right thing. Yeah there are the loonies who self-quartantine themselves to specific frequencies and there are the infrequent complaining old farts. (At my age, I resemble that statement.)

Status
Not open for further replies.