760XLT CTCSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech2461

Okay, let's see if there are any old 760XLT users that can answer this:

The 760XLT has and optional CTCSS board. According to all the manuals I read or could find to read, when it was turned on the normal noise squelch control became inoperative.

So, what would happen if, among the frequencies you programmed into the unit, you had one that had no CTCSS tone encoded and it was strictly a carrier squelch? In short, with the CTCSS board turned on, did the radio continue to let you scan CS frequencies or, was it CTCSS or nothing?

Bob1955

Okay, let's see if there are any old 760XLT users that can answer this:

The 760XLT has and optional CTCSS board. According to all the manuals I read or could find to read, when it was turned on the normal noise squelch control became inoperative.

So, what would happen if, among the frequencies you programmed into the unit, you had one that had no CTCSS tone encoded and it was strictly a carrier squelch? In short, with the CTCSS board turned on, did the radio continue to let you scan CS frequencies or, was it CTCSS or nothing?
It would allow you to scan both CSQ and CTCSS together. I owned the BC-760XLT/BC-560XLT which is the same without 800 Mhz.
Also, this scanner is analog/conventional ONLY and NOT digital or trunking so it has VERY limited use in Florida plus it is NOT narrow banding compliant either.
Hope this answers your question. Stay safe down there with Covid-19 going back up from what I'm reading lately.

tech2461

Thanks. I'm just trying to resurrect one I came across that has the board in it but here, yes it's impossible to test because EVERYTHING is pretty much 800 and trunked.

Yeah, this COVID 19 stuff is a bear and soooooo many people, particularly the younger ones, don't care.

Cheers!

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
I had one of those many years ago. If I remember it was all CTCSS or none when it was switched on or off.
I came across a mod that would allow you to do both. It involved adding a small tone generator and using the second switch on the tone board to turn the generator on or off. For a CSQ frequency you simply entered the tone frequency of the generator. It would not effect the tones of the other frequencies being monitored.
It became a good aircraft, railroad and Highway Patrol radio before it started losing the programming information everytime you turned it off.

Randy

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I had several BC950's years ago (Scanner world varient of the 760), I had the tone boards in all 3 and I don't remember CSQ frequencies being an issue when I had the tone board on.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
I think Uniden fixed that problem in future productions of the radio. Mine was one of the first version that came off the line.
Hard to remember since this was 30 years ago.

RBMTS

It has been a REALLY long time but wasn't the trick to enter 00.0 (or something similar with zeros) to let the scanner know that no CTCSS was used on a particular frequency when the switch was on?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
You should try programming a service using CTCSS two ways... once with the tone and once without... then check your results. Or, just tune in an aero freq... if you can hear it you’ve answered your own question.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
You should try programming a service using CTCSS two ways... once with the tone and once without... then check your results. Or, just tune in an aero freq... if you can hear it you’ve answered your own question.
Or an NWS frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.