785-D display

Status
Not open for further replies.

800crazy1

im updated on scanners .... 396/996 i have a 785-D , which i know is not rebandable but use it for milair ... havnt used the radio in a while , so yesterday i connected it , and the display screen was working fine , today the screen is .... the only way i can describe it ... scrolling when stopped on a conventional channel or a trunked id .... two sets of ids / two sets of conv. channels and two alpha tags ... and inbetween the scrolling effect ... vertical lines appear .... i called uniden support and he said i have a bad viewing screen and said i should send it in for repair .... 59.00 without shipping obviously , i asked if this included parts and labor , and he said yes , thats parts and labor .... i hate to send it in when its although a great radio , but not worth it for me to spend almost another hundred on the damn thing ... so has anyone else had this problem and does anybody out here on R&R have a remedy for the problem . i do have the digital card and have tried taking it out and reinserting it , no difference ... no digital in my area other than the security police at my local airforce base . and i recieve them fine with the card installed , and it still scrolls ect. when it stops on them . thanks in advance ed.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm!

Thats a New One!
I owned 3 785s for a long time. I sold two still have the other. Never had a single problem with any of them. Display was always nice and bright. I personaly have never heard of an issue like that with the 785s. I guess its going to be up to you to decide wether its worth repairing. Me? I would just use it as a reason to upgrade to something else like a BCT-15 which is great on Milair by the way. Just a thought! Good Luck!

Manny

800crazy1

thanks scannernutt , i think its a great radio , even though not rebandable .... i guess ill have it repaired and sell it .... the 396/996 do a good job as well on the milair , i was just going to dedicate that radio to milair ... i live right outside of westover AFB Chicopee Ma. we have the thunderbirds coming in sept. i think sept..... thats what made me try the radio out again.... thanks anyways... ed

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Good For You!

Faithful till the end ey?
I dont blame you. I love my 785 which is why I kept one for myself. Its nice to have a scanner dedicated to something specific. Hope the repair works out well for you.

Manny

800crazy1

thanks manny , not sure what im going to do yet .... but either way the radios useless if i dont get it fixed. cant sell it like it is .... so im thinking have it repaired and keep it as the milair scanner i was planning on .

spooney

Check the two flat ribbon cables that connect the control panel board to the main board. Make sure they are pushed in all the way on both ends. Could just be a loose connection.

Soundman

Try this

I love my bc785d .It suck that you can't reband it .I also have a bc296d that is already when thy do go digital so I am not lost in the dark ;).Try this software .It free to try .This may fix your problem http://www.scannersoft.com/ I hope this helps .

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That software - in fact, no software - will solve his issue with the display. Trying to reseat the ribbon cable as spooney and joeyny suggested is a simple thing to try, and may well solve the issue. If it does, you've saved yourself some green stuff.

If not, off to repair it likely needs to go. 73 Mike

800crazy1

That software - in fact, no software - will solve his issue with the display. Trying to reseat the ribbon cable as spooney and joeyny suggested is a simple thing to try, and may well solve the issue. If it does, you've saved yourself some green stuff.

If not, off to repair it likely needs to go. 73 Mike

ka3jjz , spooney , joeny , you all get the thanks of my wallet , i opened up the radio , and there were two ribbon cables going to the front of the (face) of the scanner , i unplugged and replugged them back in .... TADAAA before i closed up the radio , i tried it , and the display is back . thank you all for your help. i never followed up after my last post till tonight , i went back and reread the thread again and seen the additional posts. SOOO with that said , thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.