796d "compatible" LCD screen replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Hey guys just bought a 796d at local pawn shop for $20 and works and all but the LCD screen is shut. Lights up but no frequency displayed.

Is there any compatible LCDs that can be retrofitted into the 796d?

I dont care if it lights up green or blue.

Any info would be appreciated.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Nice find! I'm not sure how to go about replacing the screen or with what, plus I'd be afraid of breaking something. Since you only spent $20 there's a couple of options open and you'd still come out way ahead of the original $500 asking price for that radio:

#1: Purchase a copy of any compatible scanner software such as Arc796 or Proscan, and use computer control to see the display on your computer screen (menu, 5,1 I believe will activate PC control - I can verify that at home tonight if you like). You can get just about any software you want for around $60 or so, and most if not all come with a demo version you can try out before you buy.

#2. Ship it off to Uniden and let them fix it. They'll also be able to give it a once over and fix any other issues it may have. It might cost a bit more than the software solution but when they're done with it, it'll be like a new scanner.

If you're really brave and up to the task of replacing the LCD, take it out and see if there's a model # or something on it, then google for that exact part number and see if Mouser or someone like that has one they will sell you. I'd probably spend the extra money on getting Uniden to fix it though, simply because at $20 you basically got that radio for free. Even if it was a complete dud, that P25 card in it will fetch $250 on ebay any day of the week. You came out way ahead on that deal. Why can't *I* ever find a pawn shop like that?! All the ones out here are way too internet savvy to price a digital scanner that low.

-AZ

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Nice find! I'm not sure how to go about replacing the screen or with what, plus I'd be afraid of breaking something. Since you only spent $20 there's a couple of options open and you'd still come out way ahead of the original $500 asking price for that radio:

#1: Purchase a copy of any compatible scanner software such as Arc796 or Proscan, and use computer control to see the display on your computer screen (menu, 5,1 I believe will activate PC control - I can verify that at home tonight if you like). You can get just about any software you want for around $60 or so, and most if not all come with a demo version you can try out before you buy.

#2. Ship it off to Uniden and let them fix it. They'll also be able to give it a once over and fix any other issues it may have. It might cost a bit more than the software solution but when they're done with it, it'll be like a new scanner.

If you're really brave and up to the task of replacing the LCD, take it out and see if there's a model # or something on it, then google for that exact part number and see if Mouser or someone like that has one they will sell you. I'd probably spend the extra money on getting Uniden to fix it though, simply because at $20 you basically got that radio for free. Even if it was a complete dud, that P25 card in it will fetch $250 on ebay any day of the week. You came out way ahead on that deal. Why can't *I* ever find a pawn shop like that?! All the ones out here are way too internet savvy to price a digital scanner that low.

-AZ

That is why the pawn shop was selling it for $20.00 cause no display shown only the bright yellow light and no antenna so they thought it was broken and was been sold as is. The minute I unscrewed the rear cover and saw the p25 card ribbon cable I bought it right away.

As soon as I got home I was able to load a backup file I had from a previous 796d I had a few months ago (sold it) and confirmed that it works fine but no display hehe.

Arc796d demo does work with the pc control just fine.

I will see if I take it appart to see how the lcd screen is if I am brave enough to do so. I dont want to ruin this $20 gem that works fine using pc control. ;)

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!

AZScanner

Maybe... but I don't think the unit would work at all if a firmware update was in progress on it.

My BC796D display is going too. It lights up but you can barely read it. Sometimes a well placed smack on the top will restore it for a while. It's showing it's age though. Ideally I should send it in for repair, but since I've got a new scanner coming next month, I'm probably not going to. ;)

-AZ

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Maybe... but I don't think the unit would work at all if a firmware update was in progress on it.

My BC796D display is going too. It lights up but you can barely read it. Sometimes a well placed smack on the top will restore it for a while. It's showing it's age though. Ideally I should send it in for repair, but since I've got a new scanner coming next month, I'm probably not going to. ;)

-AZ

Yea I hear ya. Am also gonna preorder the new uniden base model so probably.

AZScanner

Just got home and bang the top part of the 796d and now has a very dimmed display showing. But it can be seen now. Thanks for the tip AZScanner

Yep, sounds just like mine. You might want to go ahead and open it up and just make sure nothing has worked it's way loose. That's what I suspect is the problem with mine, but I haven't been annoyed enough with it yet to open it up and see. You may also notice some keys don't work from time to time. A few smacks on the top usually fixes that too. Just don't hit it too hard or you might break something else lol.

-AZ

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
took scanner apart and the LCD is soldered to a green board that holds the led lights for the keyboard. Looks to be proprietary as to how the solder points connect to the board and also a few pins lock into place onto the board as well. So retro fitting one looks to be impossible.

Its ok as long as it has a dimmed display for now I am happy with the purchase. Plus using it on PC is what I would probably do most of the time since I have this base unit near by my main pc in my spare room where I have all my toys at,

And soon to have the BCD536HP when it becomes available.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
This is how it looks now after a few bangs on the upper case

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386626101153.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386626101153.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 315

mule1075

Feed Provider
Mine has done the same thing in the past and a few whacks on the top brought it back to normal.I then came upon a thread on here about checking the ribbon cable to the display to make sure it had not come loose unplugged it and plugged it back in and no problem since.I am not sure the thread i found was for the 796d as it was awhile ago but the fix worked for me.Great find for a 20 dollar bill hope you are liking it as much as i like mine.

minasha

LCD weak

Hi,
I remember having a BC780 with the same dull lcd. I googled and found somebody who showed how to install a trimmer potentiometer to the LCD board, I did the install adjusted the pot and got the brightness all the way up like new. I'm sorry I don't remember the link but if you google "LCD problems on a BC780" you might find it and give it a shot. Good Luck

mule1075

Feed Provider
Hi,
I remember having a BC780 with the same dull lcd. I googled and found somebody who showed how to install a trimmer potentiometer to the LCD board, I did the install adjusted the pot and got the brightness all the way up like new. I'm sorry I don't remember the link but if you google "LCD problems on a BC780" you might find it and give it a shot. Good Luck
Dug this link up from an old bookmark.
recreation.radio.hardware.uniden.bc780xlt - LCD Fading - msg#00038 - Recent Discussion OSDir.com

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Mine has done the same thing in the past and a few whacks on the top brought it back to normal.I then came upon a thread on here about checking the ribbon cable to the display to make sure it had not come loose unplugged it and plugged it back in and no problem since.I am not sure the thread i found was for the 796d as it was awhile ago but the fix worked for me.Great find for a 20 dollar bill hope you are liking it as much as i like mine.

I pulled both ribbons cable and plug them back in and didnt make a difference to my unit.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Even with the LCD problem you still got that radio for an absolute steal. I'm jealous. :)

-AZ

Haha gotta look in those mom/pop shops for deals. Luckily where I found it was a pair of old folks that probably dont know how to check for value on digital scanners lol

Status
Not open for further replies.