7CAL59 Encryption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlanfn

California Database Admin
I'm picking up transmissions on 7CAL59 769.243750 NAC 0293 in the Berkeley area. The problem is that my scanner is not decoding the transmissions despite the high signal strength. It sounds like the popping/chirping sound you get with encrypted P25 transmissions. But since 7CAL59 is an interoperability calling channel, the use of encryption not only defeats the purpose of using an interoperability channel, but I thought it was illegal. So I wonder what is really going on.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
I'm picking up transmissions on 7CAL59 769.243750 NAC 0293 in the Berkeley area. The problem is that my scanner is not decoding the transmissions despite the high signal strength. It sounds like the popping/chirping sound you get with encrypted P25 transmissions. But since 7CAL59 is an interoperability calling channel, the use of encryption not only defeats the purpose of using an interoperability channel, but I thought it was illegal. So I wonder what is really going on.

769.24375 is 7CALL50, not "7CAL59." You are correct that it is one of two calling channels in 700 MHz (the other is 7CALL70, 773.25675). As a Calling Channel, encryption is specifically prohibited in the FCC Rules for the 700 MHz public Safety spectrum (47CFR90 Subpart R):

§ 90.553 Encryption.

(a) Encryption is permitted on all but the two nationwide Interoperability calling channels. Radios employing encryption must have a readily accessible switch or other readily accessible control that permits the radio user to disable encryption.

There should be NO operational traffic on either Calling channel.

Don

jlanfn

California Database Admin
Thank you for the FCC rules reference.

The resource I'm looking at was taken directly from CAPRAD a few years ago and it lists 769.24375 as "7CAL59." I guess the name has changed since then.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the FCC rules reference.

The resource I'm looking at was taken directly from CAPRAD a few years ago and it lists 769.24375 as "7CAL59." I guess the name has changed since then.

Here is the current list:

Standard Channel Nomenclature for the Public Safety Interoperability Channels APCO/NPSTC ANS 1.104.1-2010
The National Public Safety Telecommunications Council (NPSTC) Interoperability Committee Channel Naming Working Group developed the content of this American National Standard. The APCO Standards Development Committee facilitated it through the APCO ANS process and it was approved by ANSI on June 9, 2010. To download FAQ, click here.
Brief Description:
Standard nomenclature for FCC and NTIA-designated nationwide interoperability channels used for public safety voice communications. The public safety community uses spectrum allocated by the FCC and NTIA in multiple bands that is replete with interoperability channels. It is necessary to develop and employ a common set of channel names so that all responders to an incident know which channel to tune their radios to, as well as the band and primary use for the channel.

Hooligan

Past encrypted ops on *VHF* interoperability channels has been attributed to a multiagency narcotics task force based in Contra Costa County, just FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.