8 or more input USB device

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4BBM

Premium Subscriber
Is there a compatible device I can use to simultaneously encode a lot of inputs? Like 8 or 16 mono inputs that the software can treat as unique feeds. Searches for '8 input USB' usually turn up mixers. I don't want to mix, I want them to remain separate. I have a source for many inputs but do not want to run multiple computers or a cluster of multiple USB devices. I'm thinking there's some sort of cheap multiple input device, I just haven't found it yet.

Thanks

ScanTN

Multi Input Audio Solutions

KD4BBM -

You're going to be hard pressed trying to find a cheap unit that will do that for you. That's because it requires some audio processing hardware to be able to handle that much. However there are a few options by M-Audio/Avid that I know of off the top of my head.

The lowest cost solution is to seek an audio interface built to attach to your motherboard (i.e. PCI slot interface). M-Audio makes the Delta 1010LT which is a PCI card that would do what you're looking for but it is about $250. You can search the RR forums since some guys on here have used this for 8 scanner streaming setup. For more information on the card visit their website: M-AUDIO - Delta 1010LT - 10-In/10-Out PCI Virtual Studio

Your next option - if you don't want to do something internally - is the M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R. Cost on this unit is $630 but has a lot to offer. Keep in mind though that USB has latency issues and I would think that it would be even more pronounced trying to run 8 channels on one unit. More info here: M-AUDIO - Fast Track Ultra 8R - High-speed 8 x 8 USB 2.0 Interface with 8 Preamps and MX Core DSP

Finally you can do it over FireWire which would ultimately be the best solution. M-Audio makes a rack mountable unit called the ProFire 2626 and it's going to give you superior results. Personally it is what we would use should we ever decide to broadcast 8 units one computer setup. More info here: M-AUDIO - ProFire 2626 - High-Definition 26-in/26-out FireWire Audio Interface with Octane Preamp Technology

Of course you can seek alternative manufactures and perhaps find a better price. I personally have used M-Audio/Avid products and they make great products - don't underestimate them. Having spent some time in the professional audio world, I am accustom to using nothing but quality products. With that being said you may not want to go this expense depending on what you're attempting to achieve.

Hopefully that will give you a basis though to start with. Let us know if you have any further questions!

KD4BBM

Premium Subscriber
Lots of leads there, thanks. I have some research to do.

Ray

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
I am using a device called an 828MK2 from Mark Of The Unicorn, or MOTU. You can find these pretty cheap on Ebay, in the low 100s. It has 8 analog inputs as well as 8 analog outputs, so for example, you can have ports 1-5 streaming to radio reference, port 6 going to a local speaker, port 7 being recorded by a completely different program and port 8 streaming to a friend via a private audio stream.

There is a lot of flexibility with this device and many others like it. They also have digital inputs and outputs for even more capability. Go to sweetwater.com and look in the section called Computer Audio/Audio Interfaces/USB or hit this link: USB Audio Interfaces | Sweetwater.com

There are over 150 items to chose from here, so it will seem a little crazy at first. Check some of the stuff out, and by all means ask questions here or IM me.....or call Sweetwater. They have some of the best people answering pre-sales questions and they actually use the products they sell!

Audio interfaces keep comign down in price and up in feature/functionality. When you narrow it down, post back and we can try to help you get it all going.

Good luck!

Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.