800 mgHz HATRED

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLWilson

Low Band Repeater?

N_Jay said:
I love these types of stories.:roll:

No reference to where the base/repeater is, how much power is used, if it is simplex or repeated. In other words meaningless!

Well, since you don't seem to understand, I'll explain further.

1st, maybe they do have them somewhere, but, I've never used one....Meaning a Low Band repeater.....So, there ISN'T a low band repeater involved.

As far as the VHF & UHF repeaters, they are in the same building as the low band radio that DOES work in the hospital. The low band and VHF anttenas are same height on the tower....The VHF Hi band repeater is 100 wats. So is the low-band base....The UHF antenna is higher up on the tower, but only a 50 watt repeater (3 db gain antenna)...

So, I've used ALL three bands myself.

Speaking from experience, LOW BAND is best for rural areas with hills, valleys and everything in between.

Now, if you have lots of money and can afford SEVERAL tower sites and wnat to place one on every hill top in your county, by all means, go UHF or 800 Mhz and talk all day !!!!

Steve

N

N_Jay

SLWilson said:
Speaking from experience, LOW BAND is best for rural areas with hills, valleys and everything in between.

If you only need a couple of channels.
If you don't need any advanced features (Data, Encryption, AVL, Trunking, Etc.)
If you don't need a repeater
If you don't need effective portables
If you don't have any noise issues (RFI)
If you like skip

If you like living in 1960.

SLWilson

Not the 60's

N_Jay said:
If you only need a couple of channels.
If you don't need any advanced features (Data, Encryption, AVL, Trunking, Etc.)
If you don't need a repeater
If you don't need effective portables
If you don't have any noise issues (RFI)
If you like skip

If you like living in 1960.
You come up with the funding, we'll use it.
Ohio has this nice, new trunked radio system. They had to put up six towers in our county. Most of the time, their data terminals DON'T work. They still have to radio stuff in.

For us to participate in the system, we would have to BUY directly from Motorola at an OUTRAGEOUS price, around $5,000.oo per radio, then PAY the state $25.oo per month PER RADIO to access/use their system.

We have 6 ambulances (they run on VHF Hi Band), around 30 sheriff's cruisers, they have UHF and VHF-Hi, we have 9 volunteer fire departments. The volunteers BUY THEIR OWN radios that operate on VHF-Hi band.

Then again, back to the penetration of "large buildings" with the 800Mhz stuff....For the state of Ohio, in rural counties, it AIN'T HAPPENING!....

Sorry if you think that staying with what works is "behind the times" but, it does work!!!

That's not to say that we don't have interop capabilities with the state and surrounding counties, we do. But, the surrounding counties are ALL STILL ON VHF-Hi or UHF too.

It's all about the $$$$$$$$

Steve

N

N_Jay

SLWilson said:
You come up with the funding, we'll use it.
Ohio has this nice, new trunked radio system. They had to put up six towers in our county. Most of the time, their data terminals DON'T work. They still have to radio stuff in.

For us to participate in the system, we would have to BUY directly from Motorola at an OUTRAGEOUS price, around $5,000.oo per radio, then PAY the state $25.oo per month PER RADIO to access/use their system.

We have 6 ambulances (they run on VHF Hi Band), around 30 sheriff's cruisers, they have UHF and VHF-Hi, we have 9 volunteer fire departments. The volunteers BUY THEIR OWN radios that operate on VHF-Hi band.

Then again, back to the penetration of "large buildings" with the 800Mhz stuff....For the state of Ohio, in rural counties, it AIN'T HAPPENING!....

Sorry if you think that staying with what works is "behind the times" but, it does work!!!

That's not to say that we don't have interop capabilities with the state and surrounding counties, we do. But, the surrounding counties are ALL STILL ON VHF-Hi or UHF too.

It's all about the $$$$$$$$

Steve

LOL, Well according to your last post, you should go back to low band.:roll:
(I just love people who argue with posts that are out of context):roll:

Did I (or anyone here) say the 800 was the best band??

What band are your MDTs on?

Do you have any idea what it costs to maintain your system over its life?

Is your system ready for narowbanding, or are you going to have to replace it anyhow?

But as you said; "It's all about the $$$$$$$$" (Fairly shallow thinking, in my opinion!)

SLWilson

Shallow Thinking....

N_Jay said:
LOL, Well according to your last post, you should go back to low band.:roll:
(I just love people who argue with posts that are out of context):roll:

Did I (or anyone here) say the 800 was the best band??

What band are your MDTs on?

Do you have any idea what it costs to maintain your system over its life?

Is your system ready for narowbanding, or are you going to have to replace it anyhow?

But as you said; "It's all about the $$$$$$$$" (Fairly shallow thinking, in my opinion!)

Looks like you are one of those guys no one can ever satisfy....

Haven't had any maintenance costs with the LB over the years. Have had with UHF. Again, give us the money, we'll use it.

As far as MDT's in the hills of SE Ohio, they don't work. The state of Ohio has spent over $350 Million Doallars on the 800 trunked system. They (troopers) have to drive to a hilltop to get them to work.....Waste of money....

We don't have that kind of money to waste.....

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.