800 mhz antenna (pro96)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slreno1217

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a used pro96 and it is working flawlessy. but it came with an antenna that is a rubber or a plastic antenna about 6 to 7 inches long. I am not sure if this is the 800 MHz antenna I need to pick up the mot smatnet2 that I pick up here. I am wanting to make sure getting the best reception. I seem to be getting everything great but do get static occasionally on a very close city about 5 to 6 miles.
my question is how do I know if this the correct antenna. anyway to tell by looking at it?
thanks

slreno1217

Premium Subscriber
ok, I just bought the scanner used and it has a rubber antenna on it about 7 inches long. just wasn't real sure if it was a generic or a true 800 MHz antenna. I am sure it is the stock that came with it new. not sure if radio shack sent these with the 800 MHz antenna or not anyone know?
there is no writing on it at all to tell.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
ok, I just bought the scanner used and it has a rubber antenna on it about 7 inches long. just wasn't real sure if it was a generic or a true 800 MHz antenna. I am sure it is the stock that came with it new. not sure if radio shack sent these with the 800 MHz antenna or not anyone know?
there is no writing on it at all to tell.

Does it look like the antenna I posted? If not it is probably the stock, all band, antenna. The 800 antenna was never included in the original package. The printing could have worn off too.

There were also similar antennas without the printing sold on Ebay which were old (bag) cell phone antennas.

W9NES

The Radio shack antenna that W8RMH has posted is a great antenna. It has 6db gain over other portable antennas and is cut for 800 Mhz. I use on on a Uniden 396XT and a Uniden 396T and have noticed a big difference on the receive.

slreno1217

Premium Subscriber
thank you.
wife is on her way rite now to pick it up.. exact one. the one on it now seems to work fine, only issue I am having is while listening to a nearby city (about 5 to 6 miles) I pick up all but during the chatter I get slight statics fades in and out. just wanting to see if a true 800 will eliminate that and make them clear during the whole chatter.
thanks again!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
thank you.
wife is on her way rite now to pick it up.. exact one. the one on it now seems to work fine, only issue I am having is while listening to a nearby city (about 5 to 6 miles) I pick up all but during the chatter I get slight statics fades in and out. just wanting to see if a true 800 will eliminate that and make them clear during the whole chatter.
thanks again!

If your current antenna is the stock all band you will definitely notice a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.