800 Mhz. Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

exportdawg

I was looking around on Fleabay and ran into this antenna:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Anyone ever use one of these? I need another antenna like I need a hole in my head but I am tempted to get it just for ja jas!

Manny

Just purchased the same antenna yesterday on ebay...I guess we will both find out if it's any good. Looks like a promising antenna, but chances are we wasted our money. Hope I am wrong

SignalSeeker

Premium Subscriber
I saw those and wondered if they were any good. For 800 a tiny antenna works great. As long as they didn't build it too crappy..

Let us know how it goes, I listen to mostly 800 in the car aside from CHP. If I can get reasonable performance I will pick one up also.

Let us know.

Justin

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
We installed a few similar antennas at work on vehicles where an external antenna wouldn't work. Specifically, one was on a garbage truck.
They work, but don't expect them to be a great performer. They are still a small antenna stuck inside the window. Any metallic tinting on the windows will reduce their performance. Better than a ducky on a radio down inside the cab, though.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
The antenna seems to be the right size to work on 800 Mhz. Then again, a paperclip sometimes does the job. LOL...I'm more worried about the loss of signal with the long cable run! BNC is also not the best connector for this band either. Hmm! We'll see!

Manny

Last edited:

exportdawg

Received the antenna today. It does quite well on 800mhz. Almost as good as the Radio Shack 800mhz duck. The Radio Shack Duck is still #1 in my book, but this one might be #2 (800mhz)

FYI, I am using it on my interior home window. It comes with two sided tape attached to it.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Received the antenna today. It does quite well on 800mhz. Almost as good as the Radio Shack 800mhz duck. The Radio Shack Duck is still #1 in my book, but this one might be #2 (800mhz)

FYI, I am using it on my interior home window. It comes with two sided tape attached to it.

Funny you say that because that is exactly what I had in mind for it. I have my radio set up near the window! Glad to hear it worked out for you. Now, I'm thinking (here I go again, thinking) I wonder if cutting off the extra cable,assuming you don't use the entire 5 FT, would make a big difference if any? Hmmm! I'm just gonna have to order me one....LOL

Manny

exportdawg

Funny you say that because that is exactly what I had in mind for it. I have my radio set up near the window! Glad to hear it worked out for you. Now, I'm thinking (here I go again, thinking) I wonder if cutting off the extra cable,assuming you don't use the entire 5 FT, would make a big difference if any? Hmmm! I'm just gonna have to order me one....LOL

Manny

The only negative I have found is the material is cheap and the cable that comes with it is small in diameter (not sure how many mm's thick) But with that said, I still performs very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.