800 Mhz Digital State System - Ky

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastr

ShawnCowden said:
any update on anything on the new digital 800 mhz system coming on in kentucky ksp system ???
thanks,
shawn

Hint- The words "Commonwealth of Kentucky" on a license do not always indicate a "KSP" system.

KW4EZR

ShawnCowden said:
any update on anything on the new digital 800 mhz system coming on in kentucky ksp system ???
thanks,
shawn

I have this system in my BCD396T nad have not seen any activity to date.

Darren

KR4BD

Yes, KSP is UHF (450-460 mHz) right now. But they have been granted a slew of 800 mHz frequencies statewide...

N

N_Jay

KR4BD said:
Yes, KSP is UHF (450-460 mHz) right now. But they have been granted a slew of 800 mHz frequencies statewide...

They "KSP", or They "State of Kentucky"?

P.S. (Minor thing) its is MHz, not mHz

ShawnCowden

i heard from a ksp officer from post 11 thats its gonna be used for mdts and special ops talkgroups also possible a multi user system but no update on turnon or anything else :(

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
KSP has continuously been building a 800MHz MDT system based on IP Mobile net. The plan has been for several years now to extend it accross the state and allow the locals on it. Actually in some areas, mostly northern KY, this is already the case. FYI the conventional UHF P25 System, already has multiple talkgroups on it.

N

N_Jay

KR4BD said:
1--KSP=Kentucky State Police

2--It's mHz!! H is for the proper name Hertz. m is for mega

Capital M for Mega, lower case m for milli

Hz is for the proper name Hertz (H is for the proper name Henry)

Thanks to all for the input on KSP.

Last edited:

mastr

studgeman said:
KSP has continuously been building a 800MHz MDT system based on IP Mobile net. The plan has been for several years now to extend it accross the state and allow the locals on it. Actually in some areas, mostly northern KY, this is already the case. FYI the conventional UHF P25 System, already has multiple talkgroups on it.

Does the fixed station license data for all of these indicate "KSP" or "Commmonweath of Kentucky"?

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
I believe they are all Commonwealth of Kentucky. It has been about 6 months since i really looked at the licenses.

With a Project 25 Conventional system you can create talkgroups on the system, it is similar to the old multi-PL repeaters, except, with P25, its much more advanced. One of the biggest advances is the ability to build a heirarcical structure of groups just like you would be able to in a normal trunked system, ie one talk-group can talk to multiple talk-groups. there are also some provisions for priority, and of course emergency access.
I think if you dig in the forum you will find some references to Motor Vehicle inspections operating on the KSP UHF system, but on a seperate talk-group.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I think we are getting the KSP UHF conventional radio system (which uses frequencies not talkgroups) mixed up with a trunked system that uses talkgroups...KVE (Kentucky Vehicle Enforcement) uses the Frequency of 453.300Mhz in Digital conventional format not in a "Talkgroup" format....once again KSP is using a CONVENTIONAL (not trunked) UHF Digital Multicast System using frequencies (not talkgroups)...
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

studgeman said:
I believe they are all Commonwealth of Kentucky. It has been about 6 months since i really looked at the licenses.

With a Project 25 Conventional system you can create talkgroups on the system, it is similar to the old multi-PL repeaters, except, with P25, its much more advanced. One of the biggest advances is the ability to build a heirarcical structure of groups just like you would be able to in a normal trunked system, ie one talk-group can talk to multiple talk-groups. there are also some provisions for priority, and of course emergency access.
I think if you dig in the forum you will find some references to Motor Vehicle inspections operating on the KSP UHF system, but on a seperate talk-group.

N

N_Jay

As stated before, P-25 conventional systems can be setup to include "talkgroups".
Think of it as a high tech community repeater.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Well Said N_Jay! Border/Customs out of Swanton, VT use that feature along with seperate encryption keys. They operate independantly but on the same frequency.

That being said, to the scanner listener, you would never know the difference. The scanners built for P25 are not sensitive to such information, it just decodes all the fames marked as voice.

Did you know you can place "individual calls" (I-Calls) on a P25 conventional system? One of the many features possible! Not to mention short text messaging and data! All on the same channel, just not at the same time.

KW4EZR

studgeman said:
That being said, to the scanner listener, you would never know the difference. The scanners built for P25 are not sensitive to such information, it just decodes all the fames marked as voice.

So then this may be a dumb question, but what if both Talkgroups/users key their radios at the same time, wil it sound as though they are walking on each other or will both users sound clear? Also what does this sound like to the scanner user? Having a BCD396T would I only hear the KSP unit or is there a way to select the user I want to listen to? ALso how do you know if a local user has been assined a "talkgroup" on the system?

Thanks'
Darren

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
KE4ZNR said:
I think we are getting the KSP UHF conventional radio system (which uses frequencies not talkgroups) mixed up with a trunked system that uses talkgroups...KVE (Kentucky Vehicle Enforcement) uses the Frequency of 453.300Mhz in Digital conventional format not in a "Talkgroup" format....once again KSP is using a CONVENTIONAL (not trunked) UHF Digital Multicast System using frequencies (not talkgroups)...

Marshall is correct, the 400 Meg KSP System is a multicast system, the towers and freqs are spread too thinly for any efficient trunking to occur. There is a KSP run 800 Meg system that is intended primarily for MDT's statewide... reportedly, a few places will have a trunked system, but the primary purpose is to provide interop/mutual aid across the Commonwealth AND MDT accessibility in those places without that service currently. The ULS lists it as:"GF - Public Safety Ntl Plan, 821-824/866-869 MHz, Conv."

KVE uses the statewide freq, 453.30000, which is shared by some 32-state agencies--including KSP; KVE will be the most frequent user but other agencies use this as well. The KVE TX is NOT digital but they do have KSP radios for the Post areas they work and are id’d as such on the air.

The key, by the way, to finding KSP systems is to look at the ULS data, it should indicate: "KENTUCKY, COMMONWEALTH OF/1240 AIRPORT ROAD/FRANKFORT, KY 40601" in the licensee section. This is the KSP radio shop.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
When two users key their radio at one time, one of two things will happen and it depends on the programming of thier radio.

1. both mobile units transmit and you get co-channel interference on the repeater input. Depending on the db radio of the two signals whether the error correction can overcome it, otherwise it will sound like weak signal, dropped packets, garbled audio and so on.

2. Radios can be programmed to only transmit if the air is clear. If someone else is using the repeater the radio will not transmit until the channel is clear.

As to the question about scanners and selecting users. I do not know of a scanner which interperates the complete frame header, for something like that you would need a receiver in conjunction with software, or a commercial P25 radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.