800 MHz portable antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Your reference is the one I got to upgrade my 396 stock antenna with. Works well and picks up the next city over with less static, but I don't like the way the plastic shell of the antenna covers the twist lock on the BNC connector. I trimmed the skirt away to the step just above the latching groves but not exposing the knurling just about it. Very tuff plastic, I had to use a single edge razor blade.

End result I wanted was to free the twist lock from the rest of the antenna. Not sure that I can get there from what I have done already and did not trim another level up.

I will continue to use because of it performance, but would prefer the way it is done on the RH77CA. That is a good antenna too, but the length for me is less than ideal.

af5rn

Just for reference, I use the antenna that is the model right below the one you linked. It's half the length, and I was shooting for something compact.

http://www.scannermaster.com/800_MHz_Low_Profile_Antenna_with_SMA_p/14-541098.htm

It performs only slightly better than the stock Uniden all-band duck. However, to be fair, the Uniden duck is an excellent performer. I would think that the longer one would only be better, but I cannot say how much. Probably not enough to make a full bar's difference on the RF meter.

The plastic shell going all the way down to the radio is exactly what I love about this antenna. It looks a lot more professional than a BNC or metal grip ring.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Well, I guess we know who makes the Rat Shack duck now! :lol:

And why not. :D The 800 MHz antenna and the PRO-96 both showed up at RS about the same time. Sometimes marketers aren't as dumb as they appear.

ChuckinSC

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had experience with the Seeker 800 High Gain 800-900MHz Rubber Duck? I wonder if it would be overkill with the GRE PSR-500? Thanks.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Has anyone had experience with the Seeker 800 High Gain 800-900MHz Rubber Duck? I wonder if it would be overkill with the GRE PSR-500? Thanks.

Search the forums here, I believe there is a thread with plenty of info on the seeker.

conve36

I would have to say I noticed NO difference between Radio Shacks 800Mhz antenna and the stock Uniden antenna.

Regards to monitoring my county sheriffs 800MHz EDACS system.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone recommend a 800 MHz portable antenna that out preforms the RadioShack 800 MHz model?.

I was thinking about this:
http://www.scannermaster.com/800_MHz_2_5db_Gain_Antenex_Prof_Port_Antenna_p/14-540714.htm

I have noticed almost no difference between the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna, and the one you linked to. Now, the 800MHz antenna referred to as "The Seeker" does seem to work just a bit better than the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna, but it costs twice as much.

GTO_04

Are there any good 800 MHz 1/2 wave antennas with a SMA connector for use with the 396. I am trying to get away from using the SMA-to-BNC adapter. I do have the RS800 antenna and agree that it's very good. I use the RS800 on my PSR-500.

GTO_04

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
The one listed in the 1st post, while a BNC, they have a SMA version as well. Different part number same price.

Are there any good 800 MHz 1/2 wave antennas with a SMA connector for use with the 396. I am trying to get away from using the SMA-to-BNC adapter. I do have the RS800 antenna and agree that it's very good. I use the RS800 on my PSR-500.

GTO_04

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
I would have to say I noticed NO difference between Radio Shacks 800Mhz antenna and the stock Uniden antenna.

Regards to monitoring my county sheriffs 800MHz EDACS system.

For me (in Dallas/Fort Worth), the RS800 works much better than the stock Uniden that came with the 396.

YMMV... but thought I'd throw that out there. I have tried a few others and keep coming back to the RS800 for 800 monitoring.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Seeker

I've had tremendous success here in Atlanta where everything is mostly 800 MHz with the Seeker 800MHz antenna. It's a little pricey and a little bulky but it definitely improves reception over most of the other portable antennas out there.

Try: www.radiobooks.com

conve36

For me (in Dallas/Fort Worth), the RS800 works much better than the stock Uniden that came with the 396.

YMMV... but thought I'd throw that out there. I have tried a few others and keep coming back to the RS800 for 800 monitoring.

Guess it depends on where you are, and how stong of signal your 800Mhz channel is putting off...

Status
Not open for further replies.