800 MhzYagi Antennas Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am thinking about trying a yagi antenna indoors to try and reduce the effects of multi-path on an 800 mHz simulcast system. Does anybody here have any suggestions for a specific yagi and where I can buy it? I am sort of unsure how many elements I want to go with. I have given some thought to the antenna below. Would that be a reasonable choice?

TerraWave T09130Y11206 Yagi Antenna

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

Use a TV antenna. Turn it so elements are vertical. Lower cost for high performance vs. commercial Yagi at a fraction of the cost. Indoor TV beam antennas cover the freq range and are aesthetically more pleasing and safer, too. "Watch out for that antenna element.... Oww, my eye!"

Last edited:

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
I am thinking about trying a yagi antenna indoors to try and reduce the effects of multi-path on an 800 mHz simulcast system. Does anybody here have any suggestions for a specific yagi and where I can buy it? I am sort of unsure how many elements I want to go with. I have given some thought to the antenna below. Would that be a reasonable choice?

TerraWave T09130Y11206 Yagi Antenna

I have this antenna and it works great outside. When I first got it I played around with it indoors. Unless it was pointing out of a window directly at the tower, it was useless.

I recently lost one of the larger systems that I monitor. Unknown of the problem, I ended up crawling on the roof to find my yagi had slightly moved. I moved it 5 degrees and got it all back. As with most yagi's, it's very directional.

It definitely is worth every penny you will pay for it. Like most things, it needs to be used properly in order for it to work.

Have Fun!

JASII

Memory Capacity
800 Mhz Yagi Antennas Suggestion

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

Use a TV antenna. Turn it so elements are vertical. Lower cost for high performance vs. commercial Yagi at a fraction of the cost. Indoor TV beam antennas cover the freq range and are aesthetically more pleasing and safer, too. "Watch out for that antenna element.... Oww, my eye!"

There is a Micro Center near me. Perhaps I will try one of these.

Supersonic HDTV and Digital TV Indoor Antenna 927517 - Micro Center

PACNWDude

800MHz yagi antenna.

Tessco has some good ones if it is in your budget.
Here are some part numbers:
987-70-2 987-70-2 987-70-2 987-70-2 980-70-2 980-70-2

popnokick

Premium Subscriber

JASII- that Supersonic antenna from Micro Center I think is exactly the same antenna folks over in the Michigan Forum here on RR have been using for 700-800 mHz and reporting success. For $14.95 + shipping how can you afford not to try it? Don't forget to get an adapter to match your scanner's antenna input. Prob F-female to BNC (or SMA) or whatever your scanner has. And if it doesn't work right away, put it in a window. Even better... The attic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.