800mhz antenna for 2 meter??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4ELO

could i (in theory) use/tune an 800 mhz antenna for 2 meter use? im thinking of the one that you see on public safety vehicles. the stainless steel ones with the spring type coil in the center thats about 10-12 inches tall.

actually i just realized i may have put this in the wrong section. it actually needs to be in the ham radio antennas forum. could a mod please move this for me? thanks.

Last edited:

nd5y

Years ago I checked several different 800 MHz gain antenns and if I remember right they are resonant around 170-180 MHz. You can't transmit on 2m but they will probably receive ok.

mancow

Database Admin
That is correct, they resonate around 170. You would have to add several inches of metal to it to get it down to 146.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

In theory, yes you could tune the 800 antenna for 2m. If you do manage get it tuned, it would not work effectively.

There are lower profile 2m antennas available, if that is what you are looking for. The low profile antennas work less effectively than the 1/4 wave, and longer, antennas. That said, I think they should work better than a re-purposed antenna.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
they make "disguised" VHF antennas that have the curly-q design. they are about 15" high, the coil makes up the other few inches. i don't know if they make them for the 140 portion of the band though.

Status
Not open for further replies.