800mhz Antenna for cell phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyJoeJo

Hi guys,

I stumbled upon this site via google and was wondering if you could answer questions about cell phone antennas as well as for scanners. If so, I'd very much appreciate the help. If not, just disregard this message.

Anyway, now to the meat and potatos of the question. I have a Nextel i275 phone which gets no reception in my new apartment. I'm interested in building my own antenna for it, and it has a hook up for an external antenna. As you all most likely know, Nextel operates on frequencies 806-896mhz. Could I take the plans for one of the antennas that you guys use for scanners on the 800mhz frequency and adapt it for use on a cell phone?

Thanks for your time,
Brian

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Joey and readers,

Your question about using cell phone antennas on scanners has been answered many times over so to put it in a nut shell, they work exceptionally well. I don't see why it wouldn't work the other way around, an 800MHz antenna is an 800Mhz antenna.

Since you get no reception an external antenna may or may not work for you, there are many factors to consider like maybe there simply isn't a tower near you. Then too maybe the building shields you from signals, going through all the trouble of putting an antenna on the roof and running expensive low loss coax really isn't worth the price of a wired phone.

If we were talking scanners here it just may be worth it but frankly a cell phone is superflous in a fixed location unless billing is a major factor. The bottom line is the bottom line, economics and that includes the price of an antenna, coax and "How the hell do I get it up there without killing myself?"

That should do it for your meat and potatoes, don't forget your veggies. (;->)

Last edited:

Yokoshibu

only recomendation I have is coax... try to find something nice and find the adapter for your cellphone so you dont have to mickey mouse it (lower loss the better!)

Good Luck!

JoeyJoeJo

Okay, I've been doing some research and have found an adapter for my phone. You can look at it here http://www.alternativewireless.com/nextel/nextel-i275-accessories.html. Scroll down to "Nextel i275 External antenna adapter." Is this the right connection I'll need to connect to a homebrew antenna? Also, does anyone know of a site with directions to make an 800mhz antenna? And lastly, yes, I know that the link in this post also has antennas for sale, but I want to learn more about antennas, and hopefully make one cheaper than I could buy one.

Thanks,
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.