800mhz antenna problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
I figured I'd get some help with this one. I just got a Radio Shack PRO-2096 Digital Trunk scanner & was using it with an 800mhz beam I'd been given some time ago. Here's the weird part, I point the beam west & can only get local stuff right around the house but with the little telescoping whip that came withthe radio I get stuff miles away. Doesn't make sense! I have a 460mhz 6 element beam & it really brings in the distant stations. I have the 800mhz beam mounted just below the 460 beam on the same mast abot 30 feet up, could that be the problem or maybe that 800mhz beam really isn't what the guy I got it from said it was?(also, I'm using a fairly short run of LMR-400 heavy duty coax)
Thanks in advance!

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
No, sorry to say there isn't, although looking in catalogs it does LOOK exactly like other 3 element 800 beams---

RISC777

It *might* be damaged. Damage doesn't have to always be visible to be there. Sounds like you're in for some troubleshooting time. Step by step and start at either end and work towards the other. :)

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
Seems it was!!! the little fins (inside the s0-239 connector) that connect to the center conductor were spread way far apart, thus not touching the center conductor at all! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.