800MHz NMO Base Mount Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Has anyone seen an NMO base mount conversion kit for 800MHz?. The ones I can only find go up to 512MHz and I have a couple of 800MHz NMO antennas. I would like to use them for a dedicated scanner monitoring a 800MHz P25 system. I could probably build something and cut the radials to the correct length but would rather have it already to go. It would have to be an NMO to N-female, or at worst case NMO to SO239. I have looked at the usual places and come up empty. The NMO antennas I have are new and using a conversion kit would be much less expensive that buying an omni 800 antenna.

Thanks for any help.

jim202

Has anyone seen an NMO base mount conversion kit for 800MHz?. The ones I can only find go up to 512MHz and I have a couple of 800MHz NMO antennas. I would like to use them for a dedicated scanner monitoring a 800MHz P25 system. I could probably build something and cut the radials to the correct length but would rather have it already to go. It would have to be an NMO to N-female, or at worst case NMO to SO239. I have looked at the usual places and come up empty. The NMO antennas I have are new and using a conversion kit would be much less expensive that buying an omni 800 antenna.

Thanks for any help.

There are other NMO mounts that have a different lower loss coax cable used. Is this what your asking?

The standard uses RG-58 coax.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for any help.
Look for an NMO base mount that meets your coax and connector needs.The length of the radials really doesn't matter as long as they are at least a minimum of 1/4 wave in length. You could easily use a UHF or even VHF kit with no loss in signal. There's no need to cut them down for 800 MHz. Remember that we always talk about minimum ground plane size as the important aspect, not max.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
.The length of the radials really doesn't matter as long as they are at least a minimum of 1/4 wave in length. You could easily use a UHF or even VHF kit with no loss in signal. There's no need to cut them down for 800 MHz. Remember that we always talk about minimum ground plane size as the important aspect, not max.

Exactly!
Think about mounting an 800MHz antenna on a vehicle. On the vehicle roof, the ground plane is much larger than necessary, and it works just fine.
The base adapters that work up to 512MHz will work.
The difference between these and the higher frequency rated models is the coaxial cable type. When you start getting up higher in frequency, coaxial cable losses become a bigger factor.
If you need to have one with pre-attached coax, look for (at minimum) one with double shield RG-58. Better yet, as stated above, get the one with the mount that has the N connector instead of the cable. Use higher grade cable than RG-58 and you'll get more signal down to your radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.