• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

800MHz to VHF crossband

Status
Not open for further replies.

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
Okay,

Did some research on the MCS and came up with this.

A guy has made a switching circuit using the external speaker leads. All of the other pins are there. This is where my lack of knowledge in components hurts me. Can this be done using a simple relay? perhaps a transistor?

The other pins would work as follows

pin 4/10 ground
pin 21 PTT (guessing this needs to be pulled to ground)
pin 13/23 MIC IN
pin 11 is discriminator audio

Last edited:

I wish I had those resources available to me, unfortunately I don't. I understand the basic theory behind an inverter, but I know just enough to ruin a radio.
I certainly don't want you to do that. Best of luck on the project. I'm eager to hear about how you ultimately make it happen.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Be aware of the pitfalls with cross banding to repeaters. If the control (i.e Tx to Rx) is carrier based then the "other" band cannot transmit until the repeater carrier drops. That means you need to make the repeater tails very, very very short. It is quite common to experience lock-up of the repeaters if the squelch tails are very long.
BB

RKG

Take a look at the KR NIDA RC-400. Off the shelf, and largely plug and play. You will need someone who can make up the cables to connect to the mobiles you want to connect to.

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
Be aware of the pitfalls with cross banding to repeaters. If the control (i.e Tx to Rx) is carrier based then the "other" band cannot transmit until the repeater carrier drops. That means you need to make the repeater tails very, very very short. It is quite common to experience lock-up of the repeaters if the squelch tails are very long.
BB

There will be EXTENSIVE training before these are put into service. I will admit, I had my doubts on letting people use these as there several drawbacks. I think overall, we need them (we work with communities that have VHF, UHF, and 800) It's just a matter of getting the potential operators trained properly.

Take a look at the KR NIDA RC-400. Off the shelf, and largely plug and play. You will need someone who can make up the cables to connect to the mobiles you want to connect to.

That gateway would be nice... but pricey! I know this can be accomplished at a much more cost effective price.

Status
Not open for further replies.