800mhz tropo

Status
Not open for further replies.

mharris

Hi All,

I am in Downtown Columbus. This morning around 1am I received P25 traffic on 853.4875. After listening and realizing I was hearing bits and pieces from a trunking system I started paying attention to the streets etc. I checked Google Maps and RR and found that I was hearing the Lucas County P25 system! I have never experienced tropo on 800mhz before. I was quite excited. Toledo is 144 miles from Columbus. Is that rare for 800mhz?

Matt

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Hi All,

I am in Downtown Columbus. This morning around 1am I received P25 traffic on 853.4875. After listening and realizing I was hearing bits and pieces from a trunking system I started paying attention to the streets etc. I checked Google Maps and RR and found that I was hearing the Lucas County P25 system! I have never experienced tropo on 800mhz before. I was quite excited. Toledo is 144 miles from Columbus. Is that rare for 800mhz?

Matt

Actually, although not commonplace all the time, it is not unusual to find it happening in the summer months on humid evenings/early morning hours. I've been taking advantage of the humid nights to do just that, dx. I'm not sure I picked up from 144 mi away, but I did pick up as far west (from Jefferson Co along Ohio River (but at ele 1200) Brinkhaven / Knox co. That's probably as far as I got.

Pretty fun eh? I enjoy it. Congrats on the nice distance.

Mike

markm1245

Not 800mhz

But I been hearing Cleveland traffic helicopters from Detroit.
Very interesting stuff. : )

VA3QRM

800 mhz

Was listening to Ohio M.A.R.C.S. last night (20th) from here in Windsor Ontario.

ibagli

My personal record is about 120 miles, when I got the Geauga County TRS from Heath a few weeks ago. The farthest I got last night was the Carey MARCS site.

RandyB

192 miles is my record on 800 MHz. This was on August 17th of last year. I received the Henryville site of Indiana's SAFE-T system (along with numerous other SAFE-T sites) from my location just west of Nashville, TN. My previous record was 186 miles in January of 2007 when I received Birmingham, Alabama's public safety TRS.

Here's a link to the thread where I posted the logs for the ducting episode last year: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78660

Other 800 MHz signals I've received throughout the years during ducting events include: Huntsville, AL (105 miles) - Chattanooga, TN (139 miles) - Memphis, TN (159 miles) - Louisville, KY (175 miles).

jpryor

800 MHz tropo is very fun. My personal reception record from Toledo OH for farthest confirmed (and trunker decoded) catch was from the Genesee County NY 800 MHz system. That's about 300 miles, and was likely due to some good Lake Erie ducting assistance. It's always neat to get Columbus, stuff from Pittsburgh area and such as well. Most of what I'll get is usually just from the North or East across the lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.