80s vintage APR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

Anyone still using the old 48/96 baud packet these days ?
I have a couple MRM dataradio units I can mod for APRS and wire into just about any radio.
Just wondering if it is worth the work.
73s

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There is some HF APRS activity that uses 300 baud packet.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
And if we really want to nitpick, APRS was invented in the mid 90's. Regular packet started in the late 70's.

I also doubt that commercial data radios would support ax.25 but heck, if somebody wants to give it a go, knock yourself out.

merlin

The who: Professor Norman Abramson first experimented with this in mid 70s
A 9600 baud UHF system was the result.
Early 80s Tucson amateur packet radio adapted this for hams. (I was sort of on the ground floor of this.)
Playing with telephone modems, I got old hat with Ax.25
Back in those days, I modified and reprogrammed an old credit card terminal to do the basic packet and run a Kenwood radio with the serial port.
These dataradio's are nearly the same thing (minus keyboard and display) On a 25 Khz wide channel, they can do 119.2 Kbaud (usually 9600) for like 900 Mhz systems.
They would be easy to reprogram for the ham world, even slow HF with the heavy FEC.
Yea, I know the max limit is 1200 baud, that is bandwidth constraints.
They don't have a big flash, so that could limit things.
Certainly a bit of work, I was just wondering if it would be worth the effort.
More and more, I see digital taking its place.
Cheers

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Anyone still using the old 48/96 baud packet these days ?
I have a couple MRM dataradio units I can mod for APRS and wire into just about any radio.
Just wondering if it is worth the work.
73s
Honestly, I don't think it's worth it and there probably isn't anybody doing it???, I might be wrong on that but why would they?

We could compare it to SWL, I'd like to listen to the guts of my 20 year old, when I received it, in 1964, Zenith shortwave radio taken out of a stand-up piece of furniture with 200 ft of copper wire in the mid 60s but I would wonder how that would work today in today's environment. Just using that as a comparison, before anybody jumps me. Very interesting thread. ;)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There are pockets of "regular", point-to-point, connected AX.25 packet on VHF around the U.S. It has its place for auxcom and you can connect a packet node to the Winlink system for world-wide email.

Status
Not open for further replies.