• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

8180 or 7180, UHF or VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

andysims

The nameplate on the radio our FD uses for paging says its an TK-8180-K. I read the data from the radio and when I started to save it, it asked if I wanted to save a dat file or a sdt file (I chose a dat file). The KPG-92d software showed the paging frequency as 154.980 with no QT(which is the correct). I then made a change to the B-tone setting and wrote it back to the radio. The change did not do what we wanted so we loaded the saved dat file and wrote it back to the radio. Now when I read the radio it shows the frequencies as UHF (460 something) and a QT of D116N. If I try to change the frequency to 154.980 the program says the frequency is out of range. Now here's the weird part... the radio is still transmitting and setting off our pagers on 154.980. I can't figure out what's going on. What is a sdt file and could that be the problem, or should I be using the KPG-89d software to program this radio? I read that the 8180's are UHF and the 7180 are VHF, but our 8180 is operating on VHF... any suggestions on what I need to do to get it showing the correct frequencies would be appreciated.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Both your 7180 and 8180 (K) radios need to be programmed with KPG-89D. KPG-92D is for MPT trunked X180s and is a different animal all together. Surprised you didn't get a model mis-match warning.

If the codeplug is not too boogered, you can make the changes in 89D and also look for other errors. If it seems whacked, you may have to rebuild it from scratch and write it to the radio. Save your user data as a .dat file.

Av8tor56

Only one real question... Was the radio purchased brand new? Make that two: Has it been rebuilt? Since the 7180 and the 8180 use the same chassis during a rebuild for any exterior damage it could have been placed in a 8180 chassis.

Astro25

Since the physical sticker on the bottom of the radio says it's an 8180, you've got a UHF radio. It could be possible that your department uses a UHF link to a VHF transmit site to send out pages/dispatch calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.