8200 iii

Status
Not open for further replies.

SM166

AOR has upgrades for the 8200 MKIII Like Infered display, P25 digital & built in ctcs as an upgrade? has anybody tried to upgrade a 8200 III ? and at what cost

Fast1eddie

Please tell me why the average civilian monitor needs infrared on a 8200???? A Virginia based company has been modding 82k's (govt contract) for years. Don't think going in a 8200 and adding extra features is something Joe hobbyist should tinker with, just send it to AOR. Extremely reasonable rates and excellent service.

SM166

while not on AOR web site yet, but was mention in Monitoring Times, stated that the newer 8200 MK3 can do P-25, and that AOR would up-grade older MK3 radios, waiting to hear more; if they will upgrade older versions might be better than paying $500+ for another unit

Fast1eddie

Home today with a nasty cold. Think I'll give them a call. I sent mine out for out of warranty repair about mid december, now performs much better than new. Taka is excellent to deal with.

Fast1eddie

Ok, just spoke with Taka and he advises no price has been determined from the main factory. He suggests visiting the AOR USA site as the pricing information will be posted there, perhaps by next month.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Day late and sttill a few dollars short!

AOR still can't get it right! It takes what seems like a lifetime for them to catch on that PL tones should be INCLUDED and not an add on option, and what do they do? They forget all about DPL tones which are just as widely used today. Unless the P25 option also allows for trunking, I don't see a use for it on this type of radio. Keep trying AOR, you'll get there someday!

Manny

Last edited:

scannersnstuff

plus the crap is so costly, and you need to be a member of mensa to friggin' program it. but the biggest piece's of radio rubbish that i spent my hard earned buck's on were the alinco dj-x2000, and djx-30.

MarkWestin

It appears to me that there are two points here.

1. Infared/ Night Vision display Modification. Sort of interesting, but only available from a company that is modifying these and selling them on contract to the U. S. Government. The general public need not apply. I don't know how many people out there own and use night vision goggles,, but I would suspect that the number of those is exceedingly small.

2. The "Digital" upgrade. It appears if someone owns an 8200 Mk 3 that is in good working order they can have it upgraded to the new specs. To me, this seems to imply a few things. They will be re-using the same case which means the same openings. I suspect that they will be replacing the CPU board to gain the new functions. We would be gaining a Micro SD port for Audio Recording, a USB Port, CTCSS built in and APCO 25 digital decoding. . While I don't know, I suspect that the "Slot Card" port will go away to provide space for the Micro SD card port, and the current multifunction serial port would be replaced by a USB connector or modified to provide USB functions probably needing yet another very expensive cable. There could be room next to (above) the "Slot Card" port for a Micro SD card port but it could take up space needed for the speaker.

I suspect that this upgrade will be very expensive, probably in the $350.00 to $450.00 range.
I base this on the price of the P25-8600 APCO 25 upgrade board for the 8600 Mk 2 which has a MSRP of $255.95 plus installation costs.

Another thing is whether this can decode APCO 25 Phase II TDMA signals or not. If not, oh well we will just have to wait another 10 + years for the next version to be released.

The one last thing to note is that "The upgrade is not available for export versions" which means that if someone went to the trouble of getting an unblocked unit instead of the USA spec "Blocked" unit they are out of luck.

If I had one of these units that could be upgraded I would have to consider just buying the new version and keeping or selling the old one because it would be more cost effective.

Mark

creators4

Premium Subscriber
I wonder how the reaction tune with optoelectronics digital scout going to work? If it is possible with the usb port.

Fast1eddie

I would be happy with a recorder. That's it. People look at me funny when I wear my NVG's (Night Vision Goggles), dunno why. Don't think the upgrade will be cheap, all we can do is wait for AOR to release pricing. Me, I'm waiting for cheap gas. Think I got a long wait comin'.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It appears to me that there are two points here.

1. Infared/ Night Vision display Modification. Sort of interesting, but only available from a company that is modifying these and selling them on contract to the U. S. Government. The general public need not apply. I don't know how many people out there own and use night vision goggles,, but I would suspect that the number of those is exceedingly small.

I can see where a few GOV agencies (US and abroad) would use that feature.

While I don't know, I suspect that the "Slot Card" port will go away to provide space for the Micro SD card port, and the current multifunction serial port would be replaced by a USB connector or modified to provide USB functions probably needing yet another very expensive cable..

If it has been engineered correctly, only a standard USB (mini on the radio end) cable should be needed. Also the audio could be carried over the USB port as well. Icom does this with the PSR1500/2500 series. All that would be needed is the proper drivers.

Yes, the price should be the real driver on the upgrade vs. new version radio.

I suspect conventional P25 would be continued to be used, but it does beg the question of Phase II P-25 compatibility in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.