8200 MK3 interface cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0G83

Hi everyone
I'm new to scanning and I've just purchased a 8200 mk3 UK version in very good condition, just getting to grips with entering frequencies and finding my way around the supplied manual. I didn't want to go down the Software Defined Radio Route although less expensive initially.IMH_0741.jpgIMG_0087.jpg
I reviewed a few threads here and I wish to obtain an interface cable, the serial # for my 8200 is in the 0916** range I have attached image to assist in identifying the correct MK3 sub model # so as to either use a HP Jornada 420 cable (FTDI & serial) , or is a cable readily available now?
I will be running a PC with Win 98 to hopefully control once a suitable an interface becomes available.
Any assistance would be very useful:)
IMG_0085.jpg

morfis

That is for the older style connector. The later versions have a USB socket under the card cover hatch on the base of the unit.
Choices are:
find a suitable AoR interface
find suitable interface connector cable (AoR or the also long deleted Journada cable) and make your own level changer (to serial and or USB)
Add in your own connector (such as 3.5mm socket) into the case and make your own interface to suit that

AoR cables do crop up secondhand but the theives at radioworld etc. will demand a kidney (possibly two) for them.
I would think the bare cable (or the HP one) are also near impossible to buy now in the UK but you might find the odd one in Japan via ebarf or similar?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
That is for the older style connector. The later versions have a USB socket under the card cover hatch on the base of the unit.
Choices are:
find a suitable AoR interface
find suitable interface connector cable (AoR or the also long deleted Journada cable) and make your own level changer (to serial and or USB)
Add in your own connector (such as 3.5mm socket) into the case and make your own interface to suit that

AoR cables do crop up secondhand but the theives at radioworld etc. will demand a kidney (possibly two) for them.
I would think the bare cable (or the HP one) are also near impossible to buy now in the UK but you might find the odd one in Japan via ebarf or similar?

There are AOR cables out there with only the connector for the radio on them, and 10 bare wires at the other end; you're on your own for adding the necessary connectors or interfaces. I ordered a couple of these from Universal Radio in 2019; one was built into a break-out box with a computer interface in it, as well as audio and other connectors for things like audio, etc. The second was used for just a USB programming interface.

Even though they folded their brick-and-mortar store last year, Universal Radio is still sort of in business as they sell off stock:

* IF8200 is for AR8200B with S/N <554251 or AR8200U with S/N <152831. They show this as discontinued.

* IF8200A is for AR8200B with S/N >554251 or AR8200U with S/N >152831. They show this as not in stock, but even when I ordered a couple of years ago they had to order them from somewhere else.

That being said, you could probably still find someone out there selling them. Barring that, your only option is as @morfis said, to add a 3.5mm stereo socket to the AR8200 case and very carefully solder wires to the proper points on that conenctor.

Update: here's the HP Journada cable on Amazon. It's not cheap, and you would probably have to do a bit of surgery to get it working.

More update: And another one. Ditto on the surgery.

Last edited:

N0G83

Thanks to both of you
There are AOR cables out there with only the connector for the radio on them, and 10 bare wires at the other end; you're on your own for adding the necessary connectors or interfaces. I ordered a couple of these from Universal Radio in 2019; one was built into a break-out box with a computer interface in it, as well as audio and other connectors for things like audio, etc. The second was used for just a USB programming interface.

Even though they folded their brick-and-mortar store last year, Universal Radio is still sort of in business as they sell off stock:

* IF8200 is for AR8200B with S/N <554251 or AR8200U with S/N <152831. They show this as discontinued.

* IF8200A is for AR8200B with S/N >554251 or AR8200U with S/N >152831. They show this as not in stock, but even when I ordered a couple of years ago they had to order them from somewhere else.

That being said, you could probably still find someone out there selling them. Barring that, your only option is as @morfis said, to add a 3.5mm stereo socket to the AR8200 case and very carefully solder wires to the proper points on that conenctor.

Update: here's the HP Journada cable on Amazon. It's not cheap, and you would probably have to do a bit of surgery to get it working.

More update: And another one. Ditto on the surgery.

I messaged Universal Radio if they ship overseas, no reply so far and they state on their website no export orders.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Thanks to both of you

I messaged Universal Radio if they ship overseas, no reply so far and they state on their website no export orders.

If you're determined to have a proper cable you might look for HP Journada cables; a bit of surgery on the cable and you should be all set.

Otherwise, your only option would be to install a 3.5mm stereo connector in the case of your 8200. I did so on my first AR8000; it was fiddly work but came out just fine.

N0G83

Ordered this cable from a Communications company in France @ €97.50 inc shipping, it’s the real deal.
I run a Win98 PC so there is a few software programs available still to work with.
Also picked up a Service Manual from a UK Ham Store.

Attachments

• A9CCA1CB-B47D-4C09-9B94-44766218A2FE.jpeg
    A9CCA1CB-B47D-4C09-9B94-44766218A2FE.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0766.PNG
    IMG_0766.PNG
    342.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Ordered this cable from a Communications company in France @ €97.50 inc shipping, it’s the real deal.
I run a Win98 PC so there is a few software programs available still to work with.
Also picked up a Service Manual from a UK Ham Store.

Good call on the Service Manual. I ordered one from Universal at the same time as the interface cables I bought a couple of years ago; very handy to have around.

Status
Not open for further replies.