84 Direct - Fairfield county

jjbllitz

Premium Subscriber
Fire units in Fairfield County (and I believe Licking Co as well, but not 100%) will occasionally move scene operations to "84 Direct". Assuming this is some kind of a talk-around group or frequency. I realize I'd have to be close to the scene to pick this up, but would be interesting to try. Anyone know the details on this talkgroup/channel? Is it part of MARCS or some local designation? Digital or Analog? TIA for any information.

JethrowJohnson

I don't know, that almost sounds like a Washington County channel because 84 is our number, but it can't be because it's not near here. So whatever it is, I guess it can't be a MARCS channel.

rcid1971

Premium Subscriber
I don't know, that almost sounds like a Washington County channel because 84 is our number, but it can't be because it's not near here. So whatever it is, I guess it can't be a MARCS channel.

7FIRE84 is a National Interoperability Field Operations Guide (NIFOG) designated name, and perhaps just a coincidence in Ohio that it's so close to Ohio County 84?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Fire units in Fairfield County (and I believe Licking Co as well, but not 100%) will occasionally move scene operations to "84 Direct". Assuming this is some kind of a talk-around group or frequency. I realize I'd have to be close to the scene to pick this up, but would be interesting to try. Anyone know the details on this talkgroup/channel? Is it part of MARCS or some local designation? Digital or Analog? TIA for any information.

7FIRE84D.

Simplex, very low power and short range. You won’t hear anything unless you’re very close.

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
It might be that channel and freq but my money is on a Pyramid repeater. Lots of dead spots for portable coverage in Fairfield county. The FD I was doing some work with explained they use those a lot. There's a chance that situation may change.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
It might be that channel and freq but my money is on a Pyramid repeater. Lots of dead spots for portable coverage in Fairfield county. The FD I was doing some work with explained they use those a lot. There's a chance that situation may change.

They use a separate frequency for the vehicle repeaters. 7FIRE84D is part of their fire programming, and is specifically intended for close-range fireground use; many counties in this area have a similar channel for a similar function.