840-860mhz mobile antenna suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_M

The Larson triband antenna on top of my refrigerator isn't doing the job in this
range (Works well for VHF high and UHF low, also have the RS Magmount that does well
for VHF low).

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
John_M said:
The Larson triband antenna on top of my refrigerator isn't doing the job in this
range (Works well for VHF high and UHF low, also have the RS Magmount that does well
for VHF low).

Well, I purchased an Antenex 5dB gain mobile for my vehicle when my local depts went to 800 Mhz, and it does an outstanding job ! Works better than I expected in the 140-170 Mhz range too. Model# B8065CN, 18" high, 5dB gain. Ran me about $50, but they have MANY other antenna options to look at if that one deosn't fit your needs.

Just my humble opinion. Good Luck....

-Phil

http://www.antenex.com/

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
Yep, thats her. I got it in the black finish, so the price is pretty close too. Not sure on the mount ur looking for. I had 1 of mine on a mag mount, but they scratch trunk lids so badly. I have 2 NMO antennas, both on low-pro trunk lip mounts now. I noticed the site u sent has a long list of mag mounts though...

Very cool website, I might add. Just when I thought I knew 'em all !!!

-Phil

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi John and all,

Diskadoo, do you? (;->)

Times Microwave LMR cable on a mag mount? You've got to be kidding! How the heck would you get a 1/2" or 3/4" cable into a vehicle and why would you want anything besides RG-58U when a mobile run is no more than 18'?

John_M

KB2, I did not know that LMR cable was 1/2" to 3/4" I was just looking at the loss specs. The mag mounts on that site I was looking at come with RG58U/RG8x/ or Teflex TM cable. 18' of RG58u = approximately 1.5db loss. I will probably go with RG8x which has 1/2
the loss of RG58U.

cstockmyer

You could just go to a local shop that sells Motorola radios and ask them for a 800 band antenna. I did they are cheap and cut for the 800 band.

W0JJK

I use a 5/8 wave 800 Antenna on the car for the Pro-97 and it works fine on VHF , UHF and 800. Low band is not good at all but that is what is expected. It can be found at any Motorola or Commericial Radio Shop. They can be had in black and chrome.

KC0LOD

RISC777

kb2vxa said:
Hi John and all,

Diskadoo, do you? (;->)

Times Microwave LMR cable on a mag mount? You've got to be kidding! How the heck would you get a 1/2" or 3/4" cable into a vehicle and why would you want anything besides RG-58U when a mobile run is no more than 18'?

Hi All,

There is LMR-195 (3/16") by Times Microwave.

So with custom solutions where one would choose a base (with or without cable included), add the cable if necessary, specify the length if necessary, add your choice of connector at the scanner end if necessary, and there you go. A customized mobile / vehicle antenna solution.

Thinner cable easier to run (ignoring the connector size / diameter if already terminated onto that end of the cable).

That's what I did for my Larsen and my Antenex.

Diskadoo ??

RISC777

A little off topic, but somewhat applicable (?)

John_M said:
KB2, I did not know that LMR cable was 1/2" to 3/4" I was just looking at the loss specs. The mag mounts on that site I was looking at come with RG58U/RG8x/ or Teflex TM cable. 18' of RG58u = approximately 1.5db loss. I will probably go with RG8x which has 1/2
the loss of RG58U.

:) They have some LMR-1700 that's 1-1/4" watertight 50-ohm cable. Loss at 150 = 0.347, at 450 = 0.632, and at 894 = 0.932. 5 year warranty. Don't know the cost, but I'm sure it's rather high for that type of cable, usually found in the 'transmission line' category. Just some FYI type stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.