FAX 8502khz USB New Orleans NMG WEFAX JWX 3.0

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Last time I posted a weather facsimile was June 30 decoded with FLDigi. Now I have tried JWX 3.0. It is a Java based windows app and cross platform to linux. I am running it on Windows 10 22H2. JWX was last updated 11-20-2017 which version 3.0 is the newest. I have no knowledge of if it will be updated again. Apparently JWX 3.0 is still going strong. I am running the newest JAVA SE runtime 8.

Here is a couple of chart samples from this morning's decode run.
chart_08.27.2024_03.25.40.6.jpgchart_08.27.2024_03.35.40.5.jpg

I have not calibrated JWX yet. I just wanted to find out how good of a decode I could get. I was well satisfied with the results. Much more readable then FLDigi at the same signal level. It makes decoding wefax alot more fun.

I understand how to set vertical calibration. I don't see where to adjust horizontal calibration. If anyone knows please speak up.

Thanks

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
1724819810880.png

This is an image sample showing its ability to handle long fades. This is from Boston on 9108.1khz USB. My best decodes are usually from New Orleans. Image is the entire UI of JWX.

Clearly noisy and fade outs present. Still some intelligibility in the decode.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Great, sunwave. I use FLDiGi at the shack. Also have used MultiPSK but I prefer FLDigi. When winter rolls in, DX'ing WEFAX stations is fun, some as far away as Australia and Japan.

Steven Handler authored "Just the FAX" a great reference for WEFAX fans several years ago. WEFAX is a great part of the radio listening hobby.

Have fun!

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Great, sunwave. I use FLDiGi at the shack. Also have used MultiPSK but I prefer FLDigi. When winter rolls in, DX'ing WEFAX stations is fun, some as far away as Australia and Japan.

Steven Handler authored "Just the FAX" a great reference for WEFAX fans several years ago. WEFAX is a great part of the radio listening hobby.

Have fun!
I remember receiving Germany Hamburg weather fax last winter. It is alot of fun to see the weather and ocean wave height and direction.