862.9375 Digital - open carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypersight

Does anybody know what that high-pitched tone is on 862.9375? It's being transmitted continuously in digital, and has been for the last few days. According to the DB it's listed as AIR-4 TPS.
I'm hearing this wherever I go in the GTA.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
There is also a signal, of the same type, on 862.1875. 862.1875 is/was a West Zone voice channel. So whatever this is, the Telecom guys feel it important enough to steal a voice channel from the system.

I hate to say it, but...I'll give ya 3 guesses as to what this is...

Hint: The 862.1875 is coming in full strength without an antenna at Spadina and St. Clair, down in the gully where NOTHING comes in that strong - except one thing.

VE3RADIO

There is also a signal, of the same type, on 862.1875. 862.1875 is/was a West Zone voice channel. So whatever this is, the Telecom guys feel it important enough to steal a voice channel from the system.

I hate to say it, but...I'll give ya 3 guesses as to what this is...

Hint: The 862.1875 is coming in full strength without an antenna at Spadina and St. Clair, down in the gully where NOTHING comes in that strong - except one thing.

still not sure what it is.. care to share?

VE3RADIO

That sucks.. and tomorrow David Miller will cry poor Toronto we don't have enough money.. why don't you try and raise your local property tax up to the level of the burbs, stop wasting money on encrypted radio's and then you might have a chance.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I agree 100%

That sucks.. and tomorrow David Miller will cry poor Toronto we don't have enough money.. why don't you try and raise your local property tax up to the level of the burbs, stop wasting money on encrypted radio's and then you might have a chance.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Don't pay any attention to paranoia as is in that post (The same poster caused dozens of media/tow operators to - in some cases - throw out their EDACS radios when they started patching on the Motorola system 5 years ago, and anyone on Scanont surely remembers the lovely message in regards to Durham going digital...)

I also have it on good authority that the Police Services Union is VERY against encryption for the regular "operations" channels. In Toronto, Tow Trucks use radios to hear about accidents as they happen. Traffic is already bad enough, imagine if now they have to wait half an hour for a tow truck for every accident, instead of how it is now (often the tows get there before the Police do).

It has nothing to do with hiding their system from the media (although, in defense of the Police, there is nothing more annoying than when media shows up on scene, especially certain renegade shooters who think they run the show), it is about officer SAFETY.

I work in the field and I can tell you, I'm always second guessing some things I put over the radio because you never know who is listening. It sure would be nice to know that nobody except those authorized are hearing what I am saying.

And, that $35 million dollars? Good luck. Do you have any idea how many radios we're talking about, if we include Works, Hydro, Parks/Rec, TTC, etc...? Figure an encrypted radio costing $5,000. At last check, the 3c08 system alone has over 12,000 radio IDs enabled. That's $60 million JUST for the 3c08 system. Then you add on the over 4,000 radios that I've seen on the Toronto Hydro system, now we're up to $80 million. Throw in 1,000 for the TTC, now we're talking upwards of $85 million. This is BEFORE *any* system equipment is factored in. $35 million over 3 years is $105 million. I would expect that a fully encrypted system for EVERY city user, you would be looking at - realistically - $200 million.

That's not to say it won't happen, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Don't pay any attention to paranoia as is in that post (The same poster caused dozens of media/tow operators to - in some cases - throw out their EDACS radios when they started patching on the Motorola system 5 years ago, and anyone on Scanont surely remembers the lovely message in regards to Durham going digital...)

Mike is 100% correct.

The originator of that message has been proven wrong many times before.

He's a member of the media and as we've all experienced before, some don't quite get their facts straight before they make statements.

This one seems to be particularily bad.

N

nec208

Not a chance!! I'm sure their will be paying the system they have for some time.And Toronto they will be lucky to get 15 new cars or 2 more extra officer per division.Have you ever taken drive past their stations and cars ? It looks like time is missing.I feel sorry for Toronto cops but they are very over worked .Peel and York is nothing .Have you ever heard 51 division?

If any thing they may go to encryption but a new system not going happen .Not with Toronto in the money problem they are in , and the system they have is so new.:eek::eek:I can see PRP or YRP but not Toronto.The only way I can see them go to 700 MHz if the 800 MHz are full and cannot give out new frequencies.

And fire,EMS,works and other go to encryption not a chance!! They don't even have money to fix transit buses/streetcar and pick up garbage or repear streets.I'm sorry but Toronto is mess and so is Ontario.

They may go to encryption but keep the dispatch in the clear but not a new system .And the system they have is very new.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The $35 million has already been allocated... so its not a case of finding the $35 million.
Excalibur makes a good point though, the true cost of an enc system would be way more then that.

So either they are going to ask for more later.. or only some of the TG will be enc. I dont see a need to have Hydro or TTC encrypted.

Didnt anyone tell them... if it aint broke dont fix it
I would have said just give some of the sensitive units (ETF, intell etc) enc radios

N

nec208

I thought most of the CIB and undercover/stake out:lol: are on simplex 98% of the time? Like morality and K-9?

Does ETF not have a encryption?

Last edited:

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
ETF has encryption capabilities but they never use it - it soulds horrible.

All the investigative units are on simplex/conventional repeaters. I see no need for them to be on the trunked system for most of their ops as they're usually in a small area.

N

nec208

ETF has encryption capabilities but they never use it - it soulds horrible.

All the investigative units are on simplex/conventional repeaters. I see no need for them to be on the trunked system for most of their ops as they're usually in a small area.

Why don't they want their signal to travel? That say some thing is going down dispatch can hear it and send them help ASAP.

If the signal is less than a KM who is going to hear them if some thing goes down?

Lets just all hope that TPS is not the next NRPS

What is NRPS? North Region Police Service ??

slicerwizard

Why don't they want their signal to travel? That say some thing is going down dispatch can hear it and send them help ASAP.
Right, because dispatchers monitor all of that undercover stuff. Not.

If the signal is less than a KM who is going to hear them if some thing goes down?
Yeah, cuz they're just dumb cops who would never think to flip over to a repeated channel when the crap hits the fan.

And there's no way they'd already have a radio or two parked on the local dispatch channel so they know what's going on around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.