898 vs. BCT15?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
I am looking at getting my 2nd scanner soon and plan to use it for monitoring non P25 systems (using my 396T for that). I realize that the 15 will be very similar to my existing scanner with regards to interface/programming. However, am I missing anything at all by going with the 15 over the 898? For that matter, would you suggest something else like a GRE or RS for trunk monitoring and the like? I do want it to be PC controllable though... Would sorta like it more base station oriented..but that is not all that important. Considering a PSR-600 as I thought it would be a nice companion to the 396T (ie, different strengths)... But I really hate to spend another $500 since my 396T is doing a decent job on digital P25 now...

Just looking for opinions on a good secondary scanner..

Thanks.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have 6 BC-15's, and think they are fantastic scanners!

I use several as Fire Tone monitors, one in the living room on my local FD channel and the others in my office on several different channels.

I use one in the car, mostly for CloseCall use. When planewatching I use it to monitor the Tower and Ground at the local airport. I also use it for railfanning.

I will be replacing a couple elderly BC780's with BC15's soon. I had resisted this move due to still needing learning time on the new Uniden style programming but have now become sufficiently proficient with it to justify the move.

$225 a piece for these radios is a fantastic price. You can get 2 for the price of a 780 in it's day and get all the extra features and capacity to boot.

bonus1331

Another benefit is the ease of use when swapping files between the two (396 and BCT-15) if using the Uniden software.
The 15 even has added benefits your 396 doesn't have-temporary lockout, Close Call without the annoying pauses, etc.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
andrewccm said:
Considering a PSR-600 as I thought it would be a nice companion to the 396T (ie, different strengths)... But I really hate to spend another $500 since my 396T is doing a decent job on digital P25 now...

Just looking for opinions on a good secondary scanner..

Thanks.
Andrew,
The only real advantage to going with the PSR-600 over the BCT-15 (besides digital/non-digital) is the NAC capability for conventional (non-trunked) P25, something the 396 doesn't have. That's the main reason I added a PSR-500.

Since you don't really need another digital right now (we don't have that much in DFW yet), the BCT-15 would be a good choice for both analog systems, and conventional. I've considered one myself, as a replacement to my 780 or BC250.

Uniden's DMA let's you display more information for a given channel or talkrgoup ID than the GRE's:
On a trunked system, with the GRE, you get an alternating display, system name tag & the talkgroup's text tag. (16 characters each)
On the Uniden DMA scanners, like the 396 and BCT-15, you have two lines. The top line alternates between the system name and group name, the bottom displays the talkgroup's tag.

The real difference comes on conventional channels:
On the PSR-500/600, you get one text tag, 16 characters, period, per conventional frequency. That's it.
The Uniden DMA scanners use the same two line display, top line alternating between system & group tags, bottom showing the channel tag.

And, as David has already noted, your files can be swapped between the two. In fact, any Uniden *.usd file will work in either scanner, with at most a minor touch up.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Very nice.. I sincerely appreciate it.. Think I'll go pick one up... Probably put my Yagi on the 396T and the BCT15 on the Scantenna.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Scanman527

I have a BC898T and am very happy with it. I live in PA and now the state has chaged its frequencies to a MA/COM system and now I can't recieve anything. My question is that if anyone outthere knows how I can reconfigure my unit or maybe purchase something to help me out. I am open to any suggestions. I am not exceptionally familiar with working with my scanner so any help will be appriciated.

Bill

N9JIG

Sheriff
Scanman527 said:
I have a BC898T and am very happy with it. I live in PA and now the state has chaged its frequencies to a MA/COM system and now I can't recieve anything. My question is that if anyone outthere knows how I can reconfigure my unit or maybe purchase something to help me out. I am open to any suggestions. I am not exceptionally familiar with working with my scanner so any help will be appriciated.

Bill
Sorry, there are no scanners that can pick up the MA/Com digital system in use in PA. It uses a proprietary modulation scheme that can not be decoded on scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.