898t Backlight Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnelle

I have had a 898T running continuously for a number of years. Now all of a sudden the backlight is out. The manual says the backlight is an LED which I assume will basically last forever. I have tried hitting the "DIM" key but not sure which mode its in since it is a 2-way button (not explained in the docs.).

Kind of frustrating because I only reprogram touch this thing once a year or so.

I can see what its doing by running the ARC virtual client but I'd rather just glance at the dial because the ARC stuff is a bit of a pig.

Anybody else seen this?

SCPD

QRT
John... If you push and hold the button the light will dim... Push and hold the button again and the light will go out... If you push the button fast that turns on the ATT... Hope this helps. I have had my 898T for over five years and still works like a champ.

Mark

Bucko

I was under the impression that the 898T used bulbs ( back light ) to illuminate the LCD display, maybe I was wrong?

SCPD

QRT
BUCKO... I turned on the light, and you are correct. I turned the radio a little bit so I could see a better view.

Mark

johnelle

Well its definitely dead

Looks like I'm going to have to venture inside the box to find out more.

Any ideas where one could get a replacement?

screenersam

I hate motrbro
same thing happened to mine. I figured the cat peed in it. (no, seriously, she had unirary issues and was peeing all over the house. had to put her in the patio.)

hooked it up to a netbook and couldn't get some police channels :-(

ended up getting a Pro 163 cheap but keeping the 898T as a backup, mostly for milair.

I would think any Radio Shack could fix it, even if it's not a tandy product? wonder about the part # etc.

good luck and keep us posted, I might follow your lead.

SCPD

QRT
I had a BC780XLT do this very same thing. I too though, LED, these last forever. So I contacted UNIDEN and they too said LED's last forever. However, the circuit that controls the back light Does not last forever. This circuit is a Chip of sorts and UNIDEN shipped me a new one for a whole 12 bucks, pulled out the old one, snapped in the new one and Walaw! Back Light worked again.

I've not cracked the case of My BC898T but I'd almost bet, on the board close to the front is a small chip circuit which controls the light and on you're scanner(s) it may need to be replaced.

I'd mosey over to UNIDEN's website and shoot them a ticket and see.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
sent mine in; they list it as received 03/10, still in progress, ship date exp 03/29. disappointingly long wait :-(

they finished on on Friday the 26th and I received it Thursday 04/02. instead of fixing the original they sent a refurbished unit, which is fine, probably to my advantage. had to reprogram, but since it was on the comp just took a few minutes. nice to have it back seems to work ok so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.