8993 KHz USB (unknown)

n6hgg

If you listen to aeronautical HF radio as much as I do, you will find that the third world areas have littered the HF Spectrum with unlicensed radio operators using cheap single sideband radios which enables them to communicate long distances without an internet infrastructure. Just use your imagination. Maybe a 700 MI distance between a remote village and a supply location somewhere in Indonesia or Africa or Island to island in the pacific. So there are regular communications schedules that fire up their conversations at the same time every day right in the middle of aeronautical, marine and utility sections of the shortwave spectrum or whatever frequency they decide to operate on, often qrm'ing certain aviation frequencies themselves. They just pick what ever frequency sounds good and is not being used at the time. Obviously they're not licensed and it's just a free-for-all unlicensed use of hf and there is a bunch of it going on. Anybody could foresee it happening with how easy it became to purchase HF radios and how cheap they became.

I would say that it could be an isolated station talking to a regular contact and your guess is as good as mine as to where it is. If you had included your location and the time of day this was received, we might be able to take a propagation guess as to where it was coming from.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
If you listen to aeronautical HF radio as much as I do, you will find that the third world areas have littered the HF Spectrum with unlicensed radio operators using cheap single sideband radios which enables them to communicate long distances without an internet infrastructure. Just use your imagination. Maybe a 700 MI distance between a remote village and a supply location somewhere in Indonesia or Africa or Island to island in the pacific. So there are regular communications schedules that fire up their conversations at the same time every day right in the middle of aeronautical, marine and utility sections of the shortwave spectrum or whatever frequency they decide to operate on, often qrm'ing certain aviation frequencies themselves. They just pick what ever frequency sounds good and is not being used at the time. Obviously they're not licensed and it's just a free-for-all unlicensed use of hf and there is a bunch of it going on. Anybody could foresee it happening with how easy it became to purchase HF radios and how cheap they became.

I would say that it could be an isolated station talking to a regular contact and your guess is as good as mine as to where it is. If you had included your location and the time of day this was received, we might be able to take a propagation guess as to where it was coming from.
I'm in Fort Erie Ontario. My time and the UTC time are in the video

n6hgg

Sorry man, I’m using an iPod to view this, I’m assuming it’s on the screen somewhere, the print is microscopic. Not important, any guess could be 3000 miles in error anyway. Why would this type of adoption of the benefits of hf radio not happen eventually, and it will become more prolific with more time. The hf free for all has been with us for awhile as it is anyway.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Sorry man, I’m using an iPod to view this, I’m assuming it’s on the screen somewhere, the print is microscopic. Not important, any guess could be 3000 miles in error anyway. Why would this type of adoption of the benefits of hf radio not happen eventually, and it will become more prolific with more time. The hf free for all has been with us for awhile as it is anyway.
Did not take that into consideration, sorry, the times are my time 12:45 PM and 4:45 AM UTC, Thanks for looking at the video.
Steve

merlin

There are a lot of bootlegers all over the spectrum, that would be my guess.
This one is not logged anywhere.